The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Editorial Coordinator or Senior Editorial Coordinator to join the International Forum for Democratic Studies. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Editorial Coordinator will coordinate the production of a range of published materials and edit Forum products, including papers, blogs, issue briefs, and other written materials. The ideal candidate will bring passion, experience and dedication to the editing process at all levels, from providing substantive feedback to proofreading copy. The Editorial Coordinator will be involved in all aspects of the Forum’s editorial operations, including editing, proofreading, coordinating complex editorial calendars, performing information-management tasks, and otherwise providing editorial support to enhance processes and Forum work products on a diverse range of democracy-related topics.
Under the direction of Forum leadership and in close coordination with Forum Research and Conferences program staff, the editorial coordinator will:
- Help develop, monitor, and maintain an overall project management calendar to sequence and track the drafting, editorial, and (if necessary) peer review process for papers and other written products
- Substantively review, edit, and offer recommendations to revise and shape papers, web products, and other work according to predetermined project scope and methodologies
- Review outward-facing communications for stylistic consistency, language flow, structure, fact-checking, and formatting
- As needed, correspond with authors, peer reviewers and other key stakeholders to solicit and incorporate substantive feedback
- Prepare draft executive summaries and collect other front/back matter relevant for working papers and other written products
- Lead coordination with graphic design firms for outward-facing products, including cover designs, graphic elements, photos, and other visual materials
- Maintain up-to-date substantive knowledge on issues related to the Forum’s work
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, International Development, Journalism or a related discipline required; Master’s degree or higher preferred;
- Editorial and project management experience required:
- Level 5 (Senior Editorial Coordinator) 4+ years
- Level 4 (Editorial Coordinator) 2+ years
- Familiarity with academic or policy-related writing a plus.
- Subject matter expertise in comparative democratization, the study of authoritarianism, civil society, human rights and digital technologies, or a related field is a plus;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- High degree of organizational ability and initiative;
- Attention to detail; the ability to multi-task and manage complex processes;
- Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Works well in a team environment on quick-moving projects.
How to apply
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or email@example.com.