Do you want to join one of NRC's Largest country program DR-Congo, as our Advocacy Adviser?
We are looking for a motivated and committed colleague to join our team in DR -Congo and take on the dynamic and strategic key role Advocacy Adviser.
NRC has been present in DRC since 2001 and runs operations in the eastern provinces of North & South Kivu, Tanganyika, and Kasai, implementing Education, Food Security, WASH, Shelter, and ICLA.
The Country Office has been expanding steadily for the past two years and the team currently consists of around 400 staff members. The DR Congo's is one of NRC's largest Country Operations with an overall budget of approx. USD 30 Million.
The Country maintains a rapid, integrated emergency response capacity while also focusing on facilitating durable solutions to displacement. NRC is also implementing an innovative project on humanitarian mediation, piloting new approaches to improve the protection of civilians’ conflict prevention and mitigation.
The Advocacy Adviser provides overall leadership, management, and strategic direction to NRC’s policy and advocacy work in DR Congo. S/he is responsible for identifying priority concerns for advocacy, strengthening the incorporation of advocacy into all aspects of NRC’s activities, and guiding NRC’s advocacy messaging to promote and improved protection and humanitarian response environment in DR Congo.
Duties and responsibilities
- Identify and coordinate NRC’s advocacy response to prioritize protection issues both within the country and internationally
- Develop and implement country-specific advocacy strategy, aligned to overall country strategy
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce effective synergies between program and advocacy by working closely with program staff to integrate advocacy into program planning and implementation.
- Ensure systematic training on advocacy and communication and build the capacity of technical staff
- Provide high-quality analysis on key humanitarian and displacement trends and prepare evidenced-based policy briefing papers, policy position statements, and other public-facing advocacy products when strategic and relevant
- Liaise with other NRC Country, Regional and Global Representation Offices to coordinate the strategic delivery of advocacy messaging and to maximize the impact
- Advice on media lines and media strategy, ensuring potential risks associated with NRC’s positions are assessed and sign-off procedures are adhered to
- Represent NRC to key stakeholders, strengthen strategic advocacy networks and identify opportunities to advocate NRC’s position
- Post-graduate degree with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience within the humanitarian field
- Professional knowledge about protection principles and advocacy, and the use of media for public advocacy
- Knowledge of DR Congo and/or Great Lakes Region and/or specific topics of land issues and/or education.
- Solid understanding of international legal and policy processes relating to displacement
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities, particularly in analysis, drafting of messages, coordination, and networking
- Experience training staff on advocacy and communications
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
We can offer
- Commencement: Sept 2020
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Grade 9 in the NRC grade structure (see attached)
- Duty station: Goma with 40% Travel to the field, Goma is a non-family posting. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
NRC may be required to verify that our employees are not involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location