Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Title: Regional Director, Program Implementation and Country Management
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Vice President, Program Implementation and Country Management
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a proven leader in the global fight to end HIV and AIDS, and an advocate for every child to live a full and healthy life into adulthood. Founded through a mother’s determination, we are driven to see a world where no other mother, child or family is devastated by this disease. For more than 30 years, EGPAF has been a leader in meeting urgent needs in pediatric HIV and AIDS in the world’s most affected regions. For more information, please visit http://www.pedaids.org.
The Regional Director will provide vision and strategic leadership in the development, management and oversight of EGPAF’s programs. He/she supervises Country Directors and pertinent country officers (based in the US) and works closely with the regional and global units to provide leadership, facilitation, coordination and support in designing, managing and implementing country programs and projects. He/she advocates for policies and programs that maximize impact and resources to further the Foundation’s mission and objectives. He/she keeps the Vice President, Program Implementation and Country Management up to date on activities, priorities and issues in countries under their purview.
- Support EGPAF and Country Directors in the creation of strategic direction, business planning, and in identifying and implementing special projects;
- Support revenue generating and resource mobilization activities with USG and non-USG donors to support existing programs and the growth of EGPAF including opportunities in new countries;
- Provide leadership, mentorship and supervision to Country Directors;
- Support Country Directors to plan and implement country programs, including human resource planning, annual work plan and budget planning and monitoring, use of data for decision making and ensuring program results;
- Facilitate communication, connection, and coordination between US-based Offices/teams and Country Offices/teams;
- Support development of global strategies, technical and operational; guidelines in line with current developments and field needs
- Ensure that Global EGPAF priorities are recognized, included and incorporated into EGPAF Country Office priorities;
- Ensure country and field needs inform decisions at global level;
- Develop deep knowledge of each supported country program including current projects, program operations, and business plan;
- Represent EGPAF at national, regional and international conferences and events as needed;
- Shared accountability with Country Directors for program implementation and success;
Ensure country program reviews are carried out every 2-3 years;
Supervise and work closely with a PICM Program Manager, responsible for supervision of a regional country support team
Staff Supervision, Program Leadership, & Management:
- Supervise Country Directors and provide thought partnership on strategic, programmatic, and financial management issues relevant for the country program;
Supervise and work closely with a US-based PICM Program Manager in support of a US-based regional team;
Support EGPAF Country teams to enhance, expand, and implement organizational vision, mission and objectives that are linked to the established EGPAF Strategic Plan;
Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence by providing, facilitating or coordinating high quality technical, programmatic, and management support to countries;
Engage with CD to attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance senior staff within country teams, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance;
Support development of appropriate country specific systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management;
Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness.
- Support revenue generating and resource mobilization activities to support existing programs and the growth of EGPAF;
- Cultivate existing relationships and develop new funder relationships;
- Plan and execute profile raising activities that increase EGPAF visibility;
- Assist in the management of relationships with partner organizations.
- Facilitate, coordinate and support the development of the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs;
- Facilitate, coordinate and support the development of a dissemination system to share organizational learning;
- Ensure cross-country learning in strategic and program management and partner with others in EGPAF to ensure cross-country learning in other areas (e.g. technical, new business, audit);
- Ensure that country documents, policies, and outcomes are shared and utilized to improve organizational goals and impact;
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to integrate cross program activities and functions.
The Regional Director will be thoroughly committed to EGPAF’s strategy and mission. He/she should have demonstrated leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience and strong demonstrated success managing funder relationships.
- Advanced degree, with at least 10 years of management experience
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management with the ability to achieve strategic objectives
- Experience with managing multiple projects and different donors at the same time is a plus
- Experience working and living in Africa is required
- Strong demonstrated resource mobilization experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, forums, foundations, corporate sponsors, and practitioner groups
- Experience in contract management a plus
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for EGPAF’s mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- Solid judgment and proven leadership skills
- A team player, who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment
- An individual who is able to handle a variety of constituencies, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities
- Strong analytical skills; basic business intuition, and common sense
- Fluency in French or Portuguese preferred
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to travel 30% of time annually.
Program Leadership and Management:
This individual will have a hands-on approach in leading a variety of initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a track record of effectively leading a performance-based and outcome-based program and staff. S/he will have developed and operationalized strategies that have grown a program/project or organization.
Team Building and Development:
The successful candidate will have recruited, managed, and developed a strong team of staff, program/project managers, and other professionals. This individual will serve as a “player/coach” to motivate and mentor his/her team.
Exceptional Communication and Influencing Skills:
As a voice/advocate for the Foundation, the Regional Director will have strong written and verbal communication skills. S/he will be a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary program skills. This individual must work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations, providing exposure for program impact in a variety of professional venues and other media outlets.
The Foundation expects all employees to possess the fundamental competencies of interpersonal skills, communication, accountability, continual learning, and driving results. The ideal candidate will either be proficient or advanced in the following set of competencies, specific to this position’s level of Director:
Collaboration – Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
Creativity/Innovation – Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes.
Influencing/Negotiation – Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EGPAF complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities. EGPAF does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to pay a fee at any stage of this recruitment, please report to *email@example.com**.*