Technical Advisor will support the design and implementation of evidence-based social and behavior change (SBC) and/or social or commercial marketing across multi-sectoral activities to improve nutrition. Particular focus will be on nutrition-sensitive agriculture and market-based approaches to generate consumer demand for healthy diets.
The Technical Advisor will have a strong foundation in SBC and working knowledge of food systems and/or private sector marketing approaches. The ideal candidate will also have an interest in working across complementary technical sectors, such as capacity strengthening, early childhood development, and gender transformative programing with a strong background in nutrition-sensitive agriculture or marketing for healthy diets. S/he will be an independent worker, motivated to take initiative and capable of quickly coming up to speed in new technical areas. The Technical Adviser will collaborate with USAID, project staff, host country counterparts, implementing partners and other global stakeholders to ensure expert implementation of project activities. The Technical Advisor will also provide leadership and quality assurance to their portfolio of activities, which will contribute to USAID Advancing Nutrition’s work plan goals and objectives. The Technical Advisor reports to the SBC Director and is based in Arlington, VA.
The SBC Technical Adviser position is advertised through multiple USAID Advancing Nutrition consortium partners and is fully seconded to the project. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply through the single (1) organization they are most interested in working for. Submitting applications through more than one (1) consortium partner is prohibited and could result in disqualification.
The Technical Advisor will:
· Identify promising innovative SBC and marketing strategies, develop program guidance, and provide technical assistance to priority countries in support of nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive programming.
· Design and oversee evidence-based SBC strategies and high-quality technical assistance to core and country programs in support of effective programming across SBC, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, and/or market-based activities.
· Design or contribute to research and analysis to develop SBC strategies, including psychographic and consumer research and market assessments.
· Actively contribute to the project’s technical direction by developing strategies and partnerships to increase program coverage, visibility, and resource availability.
· Participate in global nutrition networks to represent USAID Advancing Nutrition’s work and advocate for increased commitments to global nutrition.
· Facilitate global and regional linkages to ensure development of quality, evidence-based technical tools and guides used to increase capacity of and support to USAID’s multisectoral nutrition priorities.
· Collaborate with the project’s monitoring and evaluation staff to carry out operations research related to program delivery and contribute to other research efforts as needed.
· Provide up-to-date, evidence based technical and policy briefs, and develop or manage the creation of evidence-based program standards with key stakeholders.
· Participate in program design and development of implementation activities (strategic planning, program presentation, advocacy and policy meetings), as appropriate.
· Contribute to the development of team (both global and country) work plans and budgets, ensuring consistency with project direction and strategy.
· Supervise consultants, and mentor Technical Specialists and/or Program Officers to facilitate professional growth and development.
· Other duties as assigned.