Starting date: ASAP
Duty station: Kabul with frequent travel to Mazar-i-Shariff and field locations.
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Reporting to: Country Director for Afghanistan - Country Program
About People in Need:
People in Need (PIN) is an international, non-profit organization providing humanitarian and development assistance in over 20 countries worldwide. PIN draws on extensive experience across development, emergency and post emergency contexts to design, implement and monitor quality programming. Active in Afghanistan since 2002, PIN has been supporting emergency response to conflict and natural disasters, as well as people’s resilience through improvements in livelihood opportunities, better management of natural resources, strengthening of local markets, and development of practical skills.
For more information on People in Need, follow this link.
The Head of Programs (HoP) will work closely with PIN program teams and the County Director to oversee, manage, mentor and further expand long-term development as well as emergency programs of PIN Afghanistan.
Together with Program Managers, the HoP is responsible for PIN Afghanistan Country Program efforts to develop, innovate and implement programs with the aim to achieve the highest impact while providing quality and accountability to beneficiaries, government, donors and partners. Furthermore, the HoP ensures quality of and synergies among existing and new programs and enhances visibility of PIN Afghanistan, proactively contributing to donor communication and external representation. The HoP reports to PIN Country Director for Afghanistan Country Program with delegated management and responsibility for key programs and their assigned teams (approximately 40 individuals). The HoP also closely cooperates with Head of Systems & Operations (HoSo) as well as Desk Officer, Regional Head of Program Quality, Relief and Development Department (RDD) Management, and sector specialists in PIN HQ.
- Business development - representation, networking and positioning of PIN programs in Afghanistan towards partners, government, donors and private sector, participation in the working groups, clusters, contribution to PIN Afghanistan Country Strategy including communication and advocacy plans
- Establishing strategic partnerships with selected partners
- Fundraising and Grants development - leading on capability statements, quality assessments together with program team in Afghanistan and global Knowledge & Learning Department of PIN, leading on proposal development and ensuring quality of project proposals
- Team management and capacity development – leading on identification of capacity building needs of Program Managers and program staff and their professional development in cooperation with HQ and other relevant stakeholders in country and globally through training and mentoring, recruitment of key project Staff.
- Overseeing and supporting project implementation as needed, including stakeholder engagement, fulfilment of work plans, quality of internal and external reporting, MEAL and budget management
- Ensuring quality of PIN programs including mainstreaming of GESI, climate change and market-based approaches and compliance of overall strategy of PIN
- Setting up MEAL department, in collaboration with MEAL coordinator, set up monitoring & evaluation plan for each project with clear impact indicators involving independent M&E mechanisms
- Promote synergies among PIN programs, organize regular program management meetings
- Development, in collaboration with the CD and rest of Country team, and implementation of the country strategy
- Promote sharing of experiences and lessons learnt within the team and other PIN Country Programs, ensure that all new programs incorporate innovation and push the boundaries of development work
- Ensure cost-effectiveness and transparency of PIN projects, assist Country Director in coordination with Financial/Admin/Logistics sections
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Experience in program management - technical knowledge of PCM and quality assurance in humanitarian/development context
- Leadership and staff management skills, with a record of managing diverse teams and contributing to the capacity building of national and international staff
- Technical knowledge in one or more of the following thematic areas highly preferred: emergency, disaster management, livelihoods and market-based approach, rural and urban development, protection and social inclusion, health,
- Proven experience in drafting proposals and managing key donor-funded projects such as EU, ECHO, DFID, USAID, UN, service contracts, etc.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks independently, responsibly
- Strong critical analysis and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork attitude
- Fluent English both spoken and written.
- Experience within Afghanistan and the South Asian region and understanding of local dynamics will be considered and advantage.
- Experience with innovative fundraising methodologies (Social Media Campaigns, CSR, etc.) will also be considered an advantage
People in Need offers:
- Environment of well-established and growing organization;
- Friendly, participatory and results-oriented working environment with extensive opportunities for professional development
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies;
- Salary range of 3,900 to 4,400 USD including per diems
- 25 days of paid leave annually along with additional National Holidays based on Afghanistan Labour Law;
- 15 days of R&R
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- induction training at HQ (2 weeks);
- Opportunities for further learning;
- Travel health insurance.
How to apply
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter in English (no longer than 4 pages) via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).