Duties and Qualifications
Terms of Reference for a Policy Officer (Human Resources), HR Policy Section in Geneva, Switzerland
UNHCR is offering a full-time position within the HR Policy Section in our Geneva Headquarters in Switzerland, possibly teleworking from another location.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Policy Officer (Human Resources)
- Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
- Duration: 31 December 2020
- Contract Type: Temporary Appointment (P3)
- Closing date: 8 June 2020
- Start date: July 2020
The HR Policy Section, within the HR Operational Partnership Service, is part of the Division of Human Resources (DHR) at Geneva Headquarters. In addition to being responsible for HR policies in the Organization, the Section is engaged in inter-agency working groups related, among others, on hardship classification of duty stations and related entitlements.
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with strong analytical and drafting skills, to complete a six-month Temporary Appointment within the HR Policy Section, as replacement for maternity leave. The position is at P3 level.
Duties and responsibilities
- Research and draft policy papers and technical proposals on HR policies and procedures to meet UNHCR's evolving operational needs;
- Provide support to HR colleagues in the Field about HR policy interpretation and support UNHCR¿s ongoing decentralization and regionalization process;
- Research relevant regulations, rules, policies and practices of the UN and non-UN entities;
- Initiate and drive new HR initiatives and projects as required;
- Follow-up on implementations of HR policies as needed;
- Provide support to joint staff-management and other HR advisory bodies.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in in Human Resources Management, Law, Public/Business Management or a relevant field plus minimum 6 years relevant professional working experience.
- Have excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Be fluent in English, with advanced writing and research skills.
- Have strong analytical skills.
- Have innovation and creativity skills.
- Have good experience using Microsoft 365.
- Demonstrate a genuine desire to learn and develop.
- Be highly organized and have good attention to detail.
- Be able to multi-task and to prioritize workload.
- Be a flexible, team-player.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in Geneva Headquarters in Switzerland. Teleworking from another location will be possible.
The position is for six months and the start date is in July 2020. It is a full-time role at the P3 level.
A written test will be performed prior to an interview as part of the selection process.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit an online application on the UNHCR career page at www.unhcr.org/careers by clicking on the "Vacancies" tab and entering 20173 or the job title.
Please note that the closing date for this TA advertisement is Monday 8 June 2020 (midnight Geneva time).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).