The Norwegian Refugee Council has an exciting and rewarding opportunity to lead the organisation's newest country of operation - Sudan.
The NRC has recently re-registered to operate in Sudan, and is currently in country start-up phase - conducting assessments and designing the first steps of the programme. Focus will be given to people displaced byconflict, refugees, and vulnerable migrants, and potential geographical areas of work will be South Kordofan and Blue Nile on a first phase, with the idea to expand to other States.
As a priority, NRC is therefore hiring a Country Director to provide overall leadership on establishing NRC's programme in Sudan.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead on the establishing of an NRC programme in Sudan.
- Development and execution of a country strategy for 2020 – 2021.
- Position NRC as a leading agency in responding to humanitarian needs in Sudan.
- Successfully mobilise humanitarian funding.
- National representation and coordination.
- Country level advocacy.
- All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG).
- Ensure safety and security of all staff.
- Resource allocation and mobilization.
- Cost efficiency and quality, including implementation of control mechanisms.
- Ensure adequate country structures and systems are in place.
- Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development.
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- A full Job Description can be found on our website.
- Minimum first level university degree/Bachelor's degree in relevant field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as a Senior Manager/Country Director in humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience in adaptive programming and the application of alternative humanitarian responses, including markets based programming.
- Strong leadership skills
- Knowledge of the context in Sudan
- Experience/knowledge of mixed migrations flows in the region
- Documented experience of advocacy work
- Experience with start-up country programmes
- Experience in humanitarian and development contexts is preferable
- Fluency in English both written and verbal. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Strategic thinking
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
We can offer
- Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan
- Classification: Khartoum is currently classified as a Non-Family Duty Station, therefore this position is initially unaccompanied. As the hardship and security context is reassessed in the future, there is a possibility this will change to an accompanied, Family Duty Station, depending on the outcome of the outcome of the assessment.
- Travel: At least 30% travel
- Contract Period: 24 months, with possible extension
- Expected Start Date: August/September 2020
- Salary/Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package
- An approved health clearance will be required before commencement of the contract.
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
How to apply
To apply, please visit out website: www.nrc.no/careers