Programme Advisor -Climate Smart Economic Empowerment (CSEE)
Head of Programs
Minimum: 5-7 Years
Minimum: Bachelor’s (or equivalent)
One year with possibility of renewal
i. INTRODUCTION OF NORWEGIAN CHURCH AID - NCA
Norwegian Church Aid is an independent humanitarian and ecumenical organization with headquarters in Oslo, Norway. Norwegian Church Aid works together with people and organizations across the world to eradicate poverty and injustice. NCA provides emergency assistance in disasters and works for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, NCA advocates for just decisions by public authorities, business and religious leaders. We help those whose needs are greatest, regardless of ethnicity, creed, political or religious affiliation. NCA is a member of the ACT Alliance, one of the world's largest humanitarian alliances, with presence in over 130 countries. The alliance consists of church-based organisations throughout the world and cooperates with organisations across religious faiths. We are now seeking an engaged colleague who will work with us "Together for a just world".
NCA has been operating in Somalia since 1993. NCA Somalia’s country strategy 2020-2024 covers five thematic areas: Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CRWASH), Gender Based Violence (GBV), Peace Building, Climate Smart Economic Empowerment and Education for Sustainable Development (PB). Peace Building is a new thematic area for NCA under the current strategic period.
ii. GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
NCA is seeking an experienced and dynamic Economic Empowerment Programme Advisor who will contribute to achieving the program’s vision by taking on the overall responsibility of a successful implementation of the Climate Smart Economic Empowerment program. As the Economic Empowerment Programme Advisor, you will support NCA and implementing partners in the overall development and management of the Economic empowerment and Education programmes in line with the National and State Development plans and NCA Somalia’s 2020-2024 Country Strategy ensuring quality, participation, inclusion and accountability. The CSEE programme Advisor is expected to deliver results on income generation of small-scale producers, on establishment of climate smart production and service systems, ensuring that young people have opportunities for learning and creation of jobs and entrepreneurship opportunities for young men and women. Ensuring producers access to quality inputs and technologies, such as renewable energy would be important elements in achieving these results.
The Economic Empowerment Advisor will report to the Head of Programs. The position is a one-year contract with possibility of extension. The position is based in Mogadishu with frequent travel within Somalia. This is a nationally recruited position.
iii. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
a) Strategy and vision
· Contribute to achieving the program’s vision by taking on the overall responsibility of a successful implementation of the Climate Smart Economic Empowerment and Education programs.
· Ensure inclusion of technical staff and other key stakeholders into strategy process.
· Promote the development of a holistic strategy by creating linkages with other NCA’s programs.
b) Program Planning, Management and implementation of the Economic Empowerment Programe
· Manage the Climate Smart Economic Empowerment Programme ensuring that it is meeting its intended objectives and goals.
· Provide leadership and technical support to ensure effective design, planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Climate Smart Economic Empowerment Programme as detailed in the 5-year Country Strategy and Annual Plan.
· Contribute towards programme quality assurance( quality and timely reporting as well as financial compliance)
· Provide technical support to NCA field staff and partners in the implementation of Economic Empowerment activities.
· Play a central role in fundraising for CSEE programme and develop project proposals (narrative, log frame, budget).
· Coordinate and lead Needs assessments.
· Ensure that the programme addresses the needs of the most vulnerable and all relevant stakeholders are involved in the project cycle management
· Support the NCA CSEE team on technical aspects of their work, provide mentorship to staff and partners, ensuring the capacity development needs of staff are identified and acted upon.
· Ensure the CSEE programme applies a crosscutting lens such as gender and conflict sensitivity,
· Work closely NCA head office and NCA Somalia staff to develop or apply innovative working models, approaches and technologies, including joint multi-country initiatives.
· Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes in the CSEE program;
· Provide technical leadership to the field teams in the implementation of CSEE activities and contribute to establishing synergy in matters of complementarities between the program components teams, and between the CSEE program and the other NCA programs via joint planning, implementation and evaluation.**
· In close collaboration with NCA HO advisor on CSEE, ensure alignment with NCA’s global strategy, ensure learning and exchange with other NCA countries, and jointly develop and implement NCA global processes and innovations with regard to CSEE.
· In a participatory way, identify the program strengths and scale them up, and the weaknesses and develop strategies to structure them, identify priorities and proceed with a capacity building plan and implementation and decide on ways forward.**
c) Support the Education Programme
· Provide technical support to education programme staff and partners through capacity building and mentorship.
· Lead in program design focusing on Primary, Secondary and TVET; proposal development, log frame development, quality monitoring and reporting.
· Support in development of context-relevant quality benchmarks and adaptations in line with EIE standards
· Ensure linkage with other sectors such as WASH, GBV, PB, and Economic Empowerment to ensure that the needs of the children are addressed comprehensively and that synergies are considered at the design phase.
· Responsible for preparation of timely quality programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with NCA and donor requirements
· Working closely with HoP, support fundraising for education, including routine gap analysis for improved programming
· Monitor the program quality against the agreed Education program Results frame.
· Identify learning and training needs and learning opportunities for relevant staff and partners and facilitate trainings to support and build Education and EiE capacities in the community.
d) Monitoring and Reporting
· In collaboration with the PMER Advisor, develop an M&E plan and tools for each of the CSEE and Education projects as per the Results Frame.
· Oversee ongoing monitoring, tracking and reporting of progress in accordance with common performance indicators and quality standards as per project agreements with partners and donors.
· Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and other relevant situations
· Ensure that the monitoring framework within the programme is implemented, including baseline data, reviews, end line surveys, donor reporting and internal/external evaluations
· Monitor project implementation in accordance with grant agreements and budgets.
e) Financial Management
· Manage the programme budget including regular monitoring of expenditure against budget in accordance with NCA financial guidelines and procedures.
· Work closely with finance team to ensure that programme expenditure is undertaken in line with finance policies and procedures and that resources are optimally utilized.
· Liaise regularly with Finance and Logistics departments to ensure the support necessary to carry out activities according to NCA policies and procedures.
· Develop a clear work and expenditure plan and ensure that the programme is implemented within the agreed and approved budget and timeframe.
· Review monthly financial statements and explain variances on regular basis.
f) Networking and Coordination
· Represent NCA to all stakeholders –local authorities, donors, partners and other networks to enhance cooperation and coordination.
· Represent NCA in Food security and Education clusters meeting.
· Contribute to strengthening partnerships with UN humanitarian and development agencies, NGOs and governmental partners in emergency response resilience building including livelihood, and **
iv. Professional Qualifications
· Relevant university degree in agriculture, economics, sociology or any other relevant qualification.
· Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in Economic Empowerment with particular focus in agriculture, enterprise and value chain development
· Vast experience in TVET and Education programming in conflict contexts
· Experience implementing Cash Based Programming.
· Demonstrated experience building staff and partners capacity and mentoring a multi-sector team.
· Experience in working in both humanitarian and development context and in transition from emergency to recovery. (Nexus).
- Working Knowledge on Results Based Management (RBM), Do No Harm (DNH) and Core Humanitarian Standards.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Demonstrated strong understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation process and tools.
· Fluent in Somali and English
· Excellent analytical, communication and report writing skills.
· Experience in proposal development and fundraising
· Excellent report writing skills.
· Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
· Strong personal integrity and commitment to accountability.
· Able to work independently, able to prioritize and be self-motivated.
· Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of Norad, EU, WFP,USAID programs, etc.
How to apply
How to Apply
Applicants, who meet the requirements and qualifications outlined above, should submit an application letter indicating t and expected remuneration, a detailed C.V. and copies of their certificates and any other supporting documents to: email@example.com by 5th June 2020.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
NCA is an equal opportunity employer and women, people with disabilities, and those from marginalized backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.