MEL Manager, Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Adolescent Health and Well-Being Project
Reports To (Title):
Executive Director – Youth Empowerment and Development Initiative (YEDI)
5 Years (with Annual Work Agreement Renewals)
Lagos (frequent travel to Kano)
The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager (MM) will support the planning, monitoring and evaluation of a USAID-funded programme focused on urban adolescent health and family planning. The project, implemented by a consortium of international and local partners, will foster a youth-powered ecosystem to advance urban adolescent health and well-being. The ecosystem centres on Youth Hubs, which are safe spaces to access sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) information and referrals. The incumbent must have appropriate expertise on the use of performance indicators to track outputs and outcomes throughout the programme activity cycle in the two project locations (Lagos and Kano). S/he will work closely with YEDI’s Executive Director (ED) and Director of Programmes (PD) and will manage the MEL system of the consortium.
YEDI seeks a qualified candidate for the position of MEL Manager for a five-year USAID-funded project focused on empowering youth to think about their futures differently and to access skills, social capital, and resources to make it happen. The primary goal is to improve the health and well-being of urban, poor adolescents aged 15–19 by increasing voluntary family planning (FP) uptake and continued use—from a holistic, human capital perspective. The MEL Manager will operate under the leadership of the ED and PD and is responsible for the overall monitoring and evaluation in all sites supported through this programme.
Key Performance Indicators
Monitoring and Evaluation (60%)
Programme Management (20%)
Stakeholder Management (10%)
Financial Management/Governance (10%)
Monitoring and Evaluation (60%)
- Provide strategic guidance, vision and management for successful monitoring, evaluation and learning of the programme.
- Develop and implement a MEL strategy that encompasses all programme components including identification of input, output and outcome indicators.
- Develop effective monitoring and evaluation tools and processes for measuring the success of the programme.
- Supervise MEL team and ensure strategic and functional integration of all MEL activities as well as active collaboration with donors, other implementing partners and local counterparts.
· Produce consolidated progress MEL reports.
· Oversee research and evaluation activities related to urban adolescent health and family planning in collaboration with local partners.
· Manage and guide programme learning to inform decision marking and adaptation.
· Organise and provide training in monitoring and evaluation for programme staff and volunteers.
· Represent YEDI at various relevant MEL fora.
· Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Program Management (20%)
· Provide input in programme activities at the state level including timely reporting of all activities conducted, budget development, expenditure monitoring and execution of project plans.
· Provide input in the development of work plans and programme implementation, including overseeing training and capacity building, community-based sensitisation and engagement, testing and counselling, appropriate linkage and referral to health facilities, and support for retention in SRHR/FP/HIV services, according to work plans, targets, national policy, guidelines, and programme SOPs.
· Work closely with YEDI and its consortium lead in identifying project staff capacity development needs through periodic performance evaluations.
· Assist in planning and coordinating periodic staff meetings across programme regions to foster learning.
Stakeholder Management (10%)
· Work closely with other consortia technical MEL teams in planning and implementing MEL activities including supportive supervision and development of reports as required.
· Assist to plan and coordinate periodic partner meetings.
Financial Management/Governance (10%)**
· In consultation with YEDI’s CFO and Accountant, prepare the annual budget for MEL activities.
· Ensure and enforce MEL teams’ compliance with all financial policies and procedures (including procurement).
· Implement and ensure compliance with the USAID Policies, processes and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Master Degree in Social Science, Public Health or related field strongly preferred. Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience, Skills, and Minimum Qualifications:**
· Minimum 6 years of work experience in designing and implementing the MEL system at the managerial level in Youth/SRHR/FP or related field development in Nigeria.
· Minimum 2 years of work experience in managing the MEL system for USAID or other multinational funded youth-focused projects in Nigeria.
· Minimum 2 years experience directly supervising or managing multidisciplinary teams of at least 10 staff, with demonstrated skills in leading professional teams on MEL activities.
· Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g. quantitative and qualitative) and data collection and analysis.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
· Demonstrated excellent sense of responsibility and discipline.
· Demonstrated ability to monitor and document observed activities.
· Demonstrated ability to write clear and accurate reports.
· Ability to travel domestically as required (25-50%), field experience is required.
· Good knowledge of computer software and analytical packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, SPSS, Survey Monkey and other multimedia communication platforms like Skype is required.
· Must be able to work within a cross-cultural setting, negotiate diplomacy, and function well under pressure.
· Exceptional ability to work independently and autonomously.
· Fluency in the English language. Knowledge of Hausa is an added advantage.
· Passion for working with youth.
How to apply
How to Apply
Please send your resume (not exceeding 3 pages) and a cover letter explaining how you meet the minimum requirements for the role via email to email@example.com. Kindly ensure you indicate “MEL Manager” in the subject line of the email. All applicant MUST have Nigeria work authorization. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Application Closing Date May 30th, 2020.