II. Background Information
The Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) Somalia programme supports the mobilization of resources and expertise of the Somali diaspora to contribute to the stabilization and development of Somalia, while ensuring that skills and knowledge are transferred to the host institutions and retained by local staff once the diaspora experts complete their assignments.
MIDA FINNSOM Phase II - Health and Education Project is funded by the Government of Finland, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of skills, competencies and knowledge of qualified Somali expatriates to public institutions in Somalia, with a focus on two sectors, namely health and education. The beneficiary institution Garowe General Hospital will host the qualified Somali expatriate, and will be responsible to provide a safe and secure work environment. Garowe General Hospital & IOM Somalia MIDA staff will monitor the expatriate while on assignment.
About Garowe General Hospital
Puntland State is an autonomous member state of Federal Republic of Somalia; Garowe is the Capital City of the State. Geographically, Puntland is situated on North East of Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS); its population is roughly estimated around 4 million inhabitants.
Ministry of Health of Puntland is the authority responsible for health care administration; it controls preventive and curative services across the State. Major referral Hospitals include: Garowe General Hospital (GGH), Bosaso General Hospital and Galkayo Regional Hospital.
Puntland Ministry of Health is putting its efforts on capacity building and enhancement of knowledge for its staff to improve quality of services by repatriating qualified Somali expatriates of different specialties in the medical field (doctors and nurses). In this regard the Ministry relies on its resources and support from international organizations and projects such as IOM MIDA FINNSOM.
Garowe General Hospital is a referral and teaching hospital for various parts of the State and sometimes beyond its borders. Therefore, it is essential to develop the hospital’s services and to upgrade the skills and knowledge of the health care providers to benefit the community.
III. Activities / Key Results Expected
The neonatal period is the first 28 days of an infant’s life. Neonatal nurses work in nurseries that provide different levels of care to babies who range in condition from healthy newborns to premature babies or babies who have serious birth defects, severe illnesses or other life-threatening problems.
Neonatal nurse activities setup starting and maintaining IV lines, managing ventilators, assessing vital signs and drawing blood. New parents also require special care during this time, so neonatal nurses are in frequent contact families. Neonatal nurses work with needles, feeding pumps, incubators and ventilators.
Garowe General Hospital is now looking for a Qualified Neonatal Nurse to train staff, hold on-the-job trainings and work in the neonatal department of Garowe General Hospital.
IV. Target Outputs (Measurable Results)
To be specified in the workplan of the MIDA expert.
V: MIDA requirements
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section IV, MIDA is requiring the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for all assignments undertaken through this project:
- Transfer of skills: One of the main responsibilities of the Somali diaspora participant, and one which he/she will be measured against, will be to ensure continuous and systematic transfer of knowledge and skills as related to the assignment. It will have to be agreed with the beneficiary institution which civil servants will have to benefit from this knowledge.
- Work plan: A work plan will have to be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of assignment which will provide clear and time bound activities to successfully implement the outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the MIDA Project Assistant. This work plan can be revised during the mid-term review to reflect new developments or changes in strategy.
- Mid Term Review: there will be a mid-term review of the assignment between the incumbent and the beneficiary institution to discuss progress of the assignment and feedback on performance.
- Interim and Final Reports: A progress report will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisor and to the MIDA Project Assistant. Thereafter a final report will be provided at the end of assignment.
Level of Education:
Minimum bachelor’s degree
Area of Study:
Qualified Neonatal Nurse
Years of work experience in what area(s):
A minimum 5 years postgraduate experience preferred.
English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements:
- Good communication skills
- Good public relation and teamwork skills and
- Training experience preferred
- Excellent neonatologist skills
VI: Monthly Stipend
The monthly stipend amount will be determined based on Postgraduate degree and years of relevant experience.
VII: Security and insurance modalities
Health insurance, including evacuation due to medical emergency, will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically well and apt to work in a hardship area in Africa.
Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host beneficiary institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence and upon arrival in Nairobi or in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-departure briefing including security advice and cultural background.
How to apply
To apply please send you’re CV (with two professional references including their email and phone number) and a cover letter by email to email@example.com.
Kindly write: Neonatal Nurse/ Garowe General Hospital in the subject field of the email when sending the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that this vacancy is only open for Qualified Somali Diaspora candidates, qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.