Terms of Reference for a District Education Officer
I. General Information
District Education Officer(s) -Mogadishu, 34 positions
RCRF Education Coordinator
RCRF Phase II
Various districts in Mogadishu
The Development Objective of the RCRF II project (“Project”), as restructured in 2018, is to support the Federal Government of Somalia and eligible Federal Member States to strengthen resource management systems, the inter-governmental fiscal framework, and service delivery systems in health and education.
In conjunction with the Project restructuring, additional financing (AF) has been provided. The restructured project builds on the experience and successes of the parent project, RCRF II, and is designed to address fiscal constraints, sustain the reform effort over the next three years to help reach HIPC Decision Point, and increase the emphasis on education and health service delivery.
The RCRF II Additional Financing (AF) makes important operational adjustments to the program to reflect an evolving macro-fiscal context. The approach to the RCRF II AF seeks to strengthen reform incentives through two mechanisms:
A set of Participation Eligibility Criteria must be meet for FGS and FMS in order to continue benefiting from each project sub-component. These criteria will be built upon as part of an annual review process. The Participation Eligibility Criteria are described in section 6.4.
Disbursement Linked Indicators7 (DLIs) for FGS and review of the performance against these twice per year as part of the RCRF review process and based on a set of verification protocols. The DLIs are described in section 6.8.
Other operations adjustments through the RCRF II AF include the reorganization of project components and implementation modalities.
The RCRF Education component supports key areas which are necessary for the education service delivery including support to teacher incentives, teacher professional development, school supervision activities and system strengthening. Part of the proceeds of the project will be intended hiring 36 District Education Officers “DEO”.
Objectives of the Assignment
District Education officers will be liaises with and inspects the district principals, teachers, students, representatives of denominational schools, community groups and organizations, other Government Ministries and Donor Agencies in the district. Works in collaboration with the Regional Education Officer to ensure that schools are administered in a proper and efficient manner, supervises and supports schools within the District and serves as liaison between the Ministry of Education and the schools in the district.
The Key activities to provide the following deliverables:
- Manages the District Education Office through monitoring and supervision of staff to ensure that the objectives of the District are met.
- Provides general supervision of instruction at schools by visiting each school at least twice per term to ensure effective delivery of the program of instruction.
- Intervenes on matters which may impact negatively on instruction or the general operation of the school by providing advice and guidance to ensure effective delivery of instruction in schools.
- Advises principals on matters of school administration and organization by maintaining appropriate dialogue and providing the relevant support needed to ensure quality in the school system.
- Train the principal and ensure the proper use on EMIS software
- Disseminate and reinforce the properly use for school registers, teacher lesson plans and scheme of work
- Prepare yearly district education report on projects performance, school performance, administration performance, teachers’ performance, students’ performance, enrolment rate, retention performance, school dropouts, education gaps and share proper time to REO
- Informs the Regional Education Officer of school issues and makes recommendations for action so that schools may operate more effectively.
- Assists schools in obtaining the necessary curricula, curriculum materials and other documents essential to the planning and effective delivery of instruction.
- Design, organize and implement district education advocacy to increase the enrolments
- Initiates, organizes and assists with the development and delivery of appropriate in-service and orientation training programmes for principals and staff to help strengthen the capacities to effectively manage instruction at schools.
- Develop, implement and evaluate a District Improvement Plan by collaborating with relevant stakeholders to ascertain that the District has a strategic focus that will assist in achieving the Ministry of Education’s goals and Objectives.
- Keeps a log of school visits, termly reports and annual progress reports on the officer’s program of activities and submits to the Regional Education Officer for sound decision making.
- Assists principals in formulating and evaluating annual performance objectives and plans by providing guidance and making the necessary recommendations for school development and improvement.
- Co-ordinates annual performance reviews of schools within the District through dialogue with principals and staff and submits reports to the Regional Education Officer for informed decision making.
- Works closely with other team members to prepare annual budget for the District by incorporating the yearly activities in order to adopt a clear understanding of what the District intends to achieve.
- Advises the Ministry on resources and other materials needed of schools to ensure that all schools have the required resources that will enhance the teaching/learning process resulting in order to achievement pre-set goals and objectives.
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Regional Education Officer and the DG.
Duration of the Assignment
The Assignment will be accomplished within 12 months.
· Degree in Education
· Basic computer skills is essential.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience in a busy Teaching environment or as a school principle
· Fluency in Somali and English languages.
· Must have willingness to travel and work in a challenging environment
How to apply
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply online by clicking and following the link below by 06-June-2020: http://moe.gov.so/job_app
· -Late applications will not be considered.
· - Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary rate per month: $386