INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Manager
Duty station: Damascus
Starting date: 10/04/2020
Contract duration: 9 months with possible extension
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 4 expat staff and 30 national staff
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS has signed an MoU with SARC in May 2019 to operate in Syria. INTERSOS has a consolidated presence in the region (Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan) whit a multi sector program focused on the humanitarian assistance of Syrian refugees located in urban and rural areas. INTERSOS Syria Programme has focus on providing relief to the most vulnerable population in particular on Protection and Primary Health, the Country strategy included also EiE, NFI and Livelihood with a strong Protection Mainstreaming. INTERSOS Syria has started operations with an NFI distribution while Protection and Health interventions are planned to start from the second quarter of the year in different Governorates.
The Programme Manager will work in strong coordination with the HoM with the relevant support of HQ and Region and technical advices of the INTERSOS Technical Referents.
General purpose of the position
The Programme Manager will be responsible to support Syria mission in the starting up of new humanitarian interventions, identification and design of new proposals in strong coordination with INTERSOS technical referents and negotiating with the main donors in line with the INTERSOS Syria Country Strategy.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- In coordination with the HoM and when relevant with the involvement of national staff establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donor officers, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas.
- Participate in meetings with relevant donor's program and finance officers at central or field level following HoM and INTERSOS Program Sector Adviser guidelines.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and subnational level.
Project activities planning, implementation and monitoring
- Preparing regularly update of project activities work plan and related financial plan with the contribution of the Managers and program Officers ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined project strategy, as well as INTERSOS and donor guidelines
- In coordination with the Grant Unit in HQ, guarantee the application of procurement procedures and donor’s rules for reporting and implementation
- Regular field visit to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with the internal and donors'
- Preparation of proper and timely report to be submitted to the Country program Coordinator and to the donor.
- Analyse and evaluate the impact of the project, the evolution of the crisis and related evolving needs of target populations in the project areas.
- Work closely with INTERSOS Syria team (programme) to ensure the integration of the project with other mission's ones and/or with other sectors of intervention
- With the support of Country Finance Officer managing budget in line with donor guideline and INTERSOS Model to achieve the project's objectives.
- With the support of Country Finance Officer, supporting eventual budget and program revision.
- Support the Head of Mission for the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and program, providing updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country, with special focus on the protection response to the IDPs and Refugees crises.
- With the contribution of INTERSOS Syria programme team, prepare the project narrative and support in preparing financial reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements.
- Ensuring all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents are properly filled in and filed.
- Identifying gaps in the available data and support in gathering them, which can include networking with donor, INGO and SARC and field visits.
- Contributing in preparing and submitting new project proposals.
- Supervision of project national staff (case workers, social workers, field coordinator) in the implementation of activities.
- In line with the INTERSOS Policies and in collaboration with HR department in HQ support the HoM in recruit, train, supervise and evaluation of the project staff team, including identification of capacity building gaps and implementation of related training sessions.
- Ensure the project's staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics.
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in humanitarian related field (international relation, social studies, IHL, IHRL)
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience at similar position (proposal writing) in humanitarian context
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
- Strong knowledge of donor’s procedures notably UN agencies (UNHCR, OCHA, UNICEF, UNFPA) and ECHO
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures
- Highly able to keep confidentiality
- Able to work independently
- Organization skills and empowerment approach of the supervised team
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Previous proven experience in proposal writing from secondary data will be considered an advantage
- English is mandatory
- Arabic is an advantage
- Proactiveness and strong problem-solving approach
- Flexibility to adapt to a dynamic context and to the volume of work
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- High reactivity to unexpected demands
- Capacity to work under stress and meets the deadlines
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-53-1435 – Programme Manager - Syria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.