Norwegian People's Aid is seeking an additional Technical Field Manager for our humanitarian clearance operations in Lebanon
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Norwegian People’s Aid’s (NPA) vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Mine Action and Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
NPA started clearance operations in Lebanon in 2006. Currently we are conducting non-technical survey, technical survey and clearance of cluster munitions and landmines in South Lebanon, including deployment of Mine Detection Dogs (MDDs) to support technical survey on Suspected Hazardous Areas (SHA). NPA also operates in the North East since July 2018, to address the problem with Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and other Explosive Ordinance (EO) left behind by ISIS and Al Nusra when removed from Lebanon in 2017. We currently deploy three teams in the mountainous areas, conducting survey and clearance while witnessing an increasingly large number of returnees to the area after the end of hostilities in the region. The teams compose of staff which are multi-trained on all methodologies of land release. Your role in NPA will be to support, train, monitor and guide our teams in the North East, ensuring high quality operations and an efficient implementation of land release in the region.
The NPA Lebanon country office is located in Beirut, also running projects with local partners all around the country. The NPA Mine Action and Disarmament main office is located in Tyre, in South Lebanon, while running operations in the North East through a smaller field office based in Ras Baalbek. The Mine Action and Disarmament programme is currently employing more than 130 deminers and support staff, with support from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union, Department of International Development UK, and United States Department of State.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- To conduct manual, semi-remote and remote IEDD techniques when and if necessary;
- To ensure that all aspects of operations are conducted as per NPA SOPs and applicable international and national standards, including impact assessment, risk education, survey and clearance;
- To assist and support the Operations Manager in planning and developing operations, ensuring an overall safe execution of all NPA technical activities at all times, and contribute to SOP development as and when needed;
- As needed, to conduct search, identification and clearance of Improvised Explosive Devices (IED);
- To manage, motivate and train the teams to perform to a high standard at all times;
- To ensure accurate and timely reporting on all aspects of operations as and when requested by the Operations Manager and/or Programme Manager, and as per relevant donor requirements;
- To ensure professional and timely liaison, communication and cooperation with all relevant stakeholders, including national and regional mine action authorities, international operators, local communities, and beneficiaries.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- A minimum of 5 years international experience in a similar position;
- Relevant Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Level III, IMAS Standard;
- Experience in implementing land release in a context of Improvised Explosive Devices, including non-technical survey, technical survey and clearance;
- Accreditation/certification in IEDD from an internationally recognized agency or school;
- A documented ability and experience in managing and providing training and competence development of national staff on all aspects of land release;
- Valid International driving permit.
In addition, we require that the candidate has experience in and ability to work independently, can demonstrate proactiveness and is capable of making decisions as and when required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequisite for being successful in this position.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
Humanitarian mine action experience from the region; Arabic language skills; Good knowledge and understanding of the Middle East in general and in particular Lebanon's history and culture.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment in a well-developed programme and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. Lebanon is a relatively safe and stable environment which permits free movement. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday *plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, positive attitude, creativity and the ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply!
Please note that screening may take place continuously and the position may be filled before the application deadline.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA's internal regulations
Please also note, that due to the current circumstances regarding the spreading of the COVID-19 virus, the process and/or the start date can be delayed.**
Interim Country Director, Somalia
How to apply
Please apply online as instructed on our website: https://web103.reachmee.com/ext/I017/1093/job?site=6&lang=NO&validator=c...