INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator
Duty station: Kabul with regular visit to Kandahar (at least 60% of the time)
Starting date: 10/04/2020
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 3 national staff
General context of the project
Protracted humanitarian crisis and conflict, displacement, governance failure and a deep socio-economic crisis have had a devastating impact on the Afghan population, namely on the most vulnerable groups, caught up in the active conflict-zones, displaced and returned to the country. The South Region, in particular Kandahar and Zabul Provinces, is amongst the critically affected areas. Political and security situation remains volatile, despite the peace talks: almost 50% of the territory is considered contested with frequents clashes and airstrikes.
INTERSOS has been present in Afghanistan since 2001 with a country office in Kabul and field base in Kandahar City (a sub-base in Qalat is planned to be opened in the next months). INTERSOS focuses on implementing emergency response and relief programs in different sectors: Health, Nutrition, Protection and WASH, serving the conflict-affected population (displaced and not displaced) and with community living in hard-to reach areas. A special focus is dedicated to Extreme Vulnerable Individuals (women, children, person with disabilities, etc.).
The program’s general objective is to contribute to reduce the protection and health risks of hard to reach conflict-affected communities. The proposed program aims to improve access to integrated protection, primary health care (including sexual and reproductive health care) and nutrition services in the conflict affected areas of Maywand, Shahwalikot and Spinboldak Districts of Kandahar Province and Qalat District of Zabul Province.
General purpose of the position
The Logistics Coordinator will assist the Head of Mission specifically following the overall country Logistics, including supplies and procurements, in accordance with INTERSOS country strategies, plans and policies. The Logistics Coordinator will be primarily responsible to supervise and manage all country logistics operation and provide support in the management of the mission’s on day to day applied security. The Logistic Coordinator will also assist the HoM and the HoB Kandahar in the opening of the sub-base in Qalat City (Zabul Province).
The Logistics Coordinator is responsible for all the logistics operations of the INTERSOS Afghanistan Mission, including: the timely procurement of goods, the provision of transportation services, the careful and frequent recording of movements and changes. The Logistics Officer will work closely with program and administrative staff to ensure comprehensive reporting, support and assistance to all INTERSOS activities. In addition, the Logistics Coordinator is responsible for managing the logistics management software.
The Logistics Coordinator shall supervise all the Logistics office activities in order:
- To deliver the Logistics office activities according with the mission requests in an efficient way (timing and financial) and sharing the information with the other stakeholders (Technical Coordinators, Project Manager, Administration, Head of Base, Head of Mission)
- To assure the compliance with the organization’s procedures and governance model
- To build the capacity of the national staff on Logistic procedures
- The Logistics Coordinator shall also be accountable of the correct utilization of the web platform used to manage the procurement process, the assets of the mission and the contact list.
- The Logistics coordinator shall support the HoM for the management of security, in collaboration with the mission’s Security Focal Point.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Managing INTERSOS supply chain
- Work in close collaboration with the support and program staff at field and Kabul level on proper management of supply chain
- Supports the program managers to prepare their procurement plan
- Report to HoM on bottlenecks of supply chain and identify adequate solutions and processes
- Optimizes the supply chain through framework agreements with all suppliers (purchase, transport, shipment, etc.)
- Guarantees that purchase procedures are respected, and supervises the purchasing process for the whole mission
- Guarantee the pre-qualification of the suppliers and their evaluation/ review at least once every year
- Ensure that contracts signed are adequate in terms of effectiveness and protection of INTERSOS interests
- Supervise the identification and referencing of suppliers
- Consolidate/update the mission’s price catalogue for the mission’s operation areas
- Ensure that purchase files are complete and correctly archived
- Supervise the shipment and delivery of materials up to their destination
- Coordinate with the logistical department at headquarters for the shipment of merchandise coming from abroad and supervise the potential process involved with clearing customs
- Guarantee the management and monitoring of the mission’s stock, according to INTERSOS procedures and tools, and ensure that the procedures are known and implemented on all the mission’s bases
- Ensure that stocking sites are appropriate to the mission’s needs and that merchandise is stocked appropriately in terms of location, layout and salubriousness
- Supervise fluxes of merchandise, make sure that the goods received are conform, and recorded, with attention to the use-by-date of items
- Ensure that the warehouse is properly managed, and all the movement of goods are documented and properly referenced
- Check stock reports on a monthly basis and perform physical inventories
- Monthly materials stocking, inventory registry and reporting
- Ensure the correct use of Driver Timetable and Fuel Management
- Support his team on Casual Worker management (up/off-loading)
- Manage truck shipment and optimize goods/staff transportation
- Log Cluster Focal Point (Logistics Coordinator)
- Ensure Cars maintenance and logbooks, and insurance documents management
- Guarantee the compounds maintenance (water, sewage, fence, power, generators, solar system, etc.) and fuel maintenance
- Ensure reparation management, stocking, inventory registry of all equipment (laptop, phone, thuraya, etc.)
- Networking monitoring (router devices, Wi-Fi password)
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the staff directly managed and ensure that evaluation procedures are implemented for the rest of the team
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Elaborate and manage the capacity building of support and program staff on logistic issue through formal/on-job training, coaching, etc.
- Handover management (Data backup, email folder backup)
- Production of Standard Operating Procedures for all most important Logistics domains.
- To perform any other work-related duties if applicable
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree or similar academic field (experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree)
- At least three years of professional experience in the capacity as Logistician and humanitarian field in countries outside of his/ her residence is required.
- At least two years of working in potentially insecure environment as expatriate staffs, with proven experience of security management, is required.
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills.
- Experience working with different donors and knowledge on procurement guidelines
- Proven experience of managing staff with cultural diversity, with experience of local recruitment and remote management
- Excellent level of understanding in humanitarian and human rights principles and standards
- Very good knowledge on procurement guidelines of INTERSOS and donors
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office (including MS Word, Excel, Power-point or other presentation software, Outlook and Skype)
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties
- Ability to communicate openly and maintain good relationship within the team, government and other local authorities, donor, and other stake holders
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Ability to cope with stress, and live in environment with very basic living condition
- Strong team spirit and ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (well organized), and to plan ahead and result oriented (pro-active)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Practical and problem-solver
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-28-1443 – Logistics Coordinator – Afghanistan”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.