Org. Setting and Reporting
The main mission of the Environment and Development Division of ESCAP is to integrate environmental sustainability in economic and social development, including through the application of environmentally sustainable economic growth approaches, as well as other effective policy initiatives, for inclusive and sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific.
This position is located in the Environment and Development Policy Section, in the Environment and Development Division. The incumbent reports to the Chief, Environment and Development Policy Section.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Environment and Development Policy Section, and overall supervision of the Director, Environment and Development Division, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
Environment and development analysis
• Develops, maintains, and manages environment and/or sustainable development–related information both qualitative and quantitative.
• Undertakes periodic reviews and analytical studies including analysis and assessment of global, regional and subregional environment and development cooperation.
• Assists with analysis, formulation and dissemination of innovative policy options and tools for improving the environmental sustainability of economic growth and for integration of the three pillars of sustainable development.
• Assists in preparation of project documents and in implementation and monitoring of the Division’s work programme.
• Drafts specified inputs for technical papers and analytical studies on selected global, regional, national or sector aspects of economic development.
• Identifies and analyses policy proposals made elsewhere relating to assigned topics.
• Develops partnerships with UN and other relevant institutions, by attending international, regional, and national meetings and capacity building events to collect information and to hold discussions with colleagues in other institutions.
• Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, capacity building events, etc. on environment and sustainable development issues.
• Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
• Prepares inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies.
• Follows intergovernmental meetings and prepares summary reports.
• Prepares inputs to statements by members of the Bureau and Secretariat staff to such meetings.
• Assists in the organization of panels, round tables etc. on development issues for intergovernmental processes.
• Participates in missions on development issues, usually as a member of a team.
• Organizes capacity development events and training seminars for national experts.
• Prepares documentation for technical cooperation programmes and projects.
• Contributes to the preparation of material for the approval of regional, country or sector technical cooperation projects.
• Monitors, backstops, and assesses the implementation of technical cooperation programmes and projects.
• Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit’s services.
• Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
How to apply
Apply here: https://www.unescap.org/jobs