Cordaid is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines expertise in humanitarian aid and development cooperation to realize structural poverty eradication. Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. Cordaid’s work focuses is on the value of every human being and the solidarity to provide a dignified existence for everyone. Cordaid Ethiopia has been operating since 2006 in Ethiopia.
Cordaid Ethiopia is seeking qualified professional Humanitarian Program Officer
The Humanitarian Program Officer will lead Cordaid Ethiopia’s strategy to provide humanitarian aid in accordance with global standards and universal commitments. Cordaid Ethiopia’s humanitarian program focuses on:
- Improving disaster preparedness;
- Providing emergency relief, answering immediate needs for survival: food, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), shelter and settlement, protection and cash; and
- Enable recovery and reconstruction and help to re-establish livelihoods
Responsibilities and Accountability
Lobby and Advocacy for Humanitarian Values
- Communicates the Cordaid Humanitarian Program message convincingly, along with assessment on the perception and goals of stakeholders;
- Maintains networks and relationships. Engages with relevant stakeholders in the Humanitarian clusters to be a significant partner at different levels; and
- Coordinates agreements with stakeholders continuously with the Country Office and Global Office and gives advice about policy processes to be influenced.
Networking and Resource Mobilization
- Participates and contributes to conferences, meetings and other networking events which are important to achieve the Humanitarian Program objectives;
- Assesses key person, organizations and funding possibilities as well as their activities to get their ideas and perspectives aiming at creating a clear image for Cordaid’s Humanitarian strategy in order to better position and profile Cordaid; and
- Creates possibilities to acquire funds from institutional donors, and maintains relations with relevant donors. Analyses funding profile and plans, and generates recommendations.
Programme Planning and Implementation
- Prepares regular situation papers/reports highlighting relevant operational factors affecting the humanitarian situation and response efforts;
- Support the preparation, implementation & monitoring of the Office’s humanitarian work plan, usually expressed in the country office’s strategic plan and annual project plan;
- Formulates a plan including time and planning and ensures progress, in coordination with Humanitarian Program partners;
- Improve delivery of timely, quality and effective emergency response program;
- Ensures that all designated projects are implemented on time and within budget, and ensue achievement of the set objectives and milestones;
- Supports in developing project concept notes and proposals to donors;
- Contributes to needs assessments, and generate sound analysis of needs and response options;
- Manages humanitarian grants and ensure Cordaid funds are spent/committed in compliance with the agreed objectives, timeframe and donor regulations;
- Ensures compliance with the Cordaid and donor standards for program management;
- Ensures mainstreaming of gender and protection into relevant activities; and
- Follows project budgets to ensure appropriate spending in accordance with donor and organizational policies. Tracks spending and perform monthly analysis on budget vs actual. Ensure all financial supporting documents are in place for all transactions.
Capacity building & Administration
- Assesses the capacity of (new) partners with regard to program content, accountability and compliance with donor policy and procedures. Where necessary, formulate and implement capacity building proposals and acquires funding for these proposals;
- Supports capacity building to staff and partners on Lobby, Advocacy and Communications on Humanitarian Values;
- Assists the logistics of project administration and ensures security of distribution items;
- Participates in meetings as directed and report on proceedings; and
- Ensures good documentation of Humanitarian projects
Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management
- Monitors, analyses and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations;
- Harmonizes M&E framework and plans required for humanitarian projects;
- Plans and implements M&E activities of the designated projects;
- Ensures that donor contractual requirements are met;
- Contributes to the strengthening knowledge management (consolidation of experience, formulate case studies, etc) for Cordaid or its partners;
- Submit all required reports in good quality and in a timely manner, and in line with donor and Cordaid reporting standards and deadlines;
- Ensures accountability measures are in place in designated projects to ensure the voices and feedback from beneficiaries and stakeholders are captured and responded; and
- Provides recommendations based on M&E findings. Discusses with concerned Managers to address gaps identified and suggested mitigation strategies.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Degree in Social Sciences, or related field;
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience in managing Humanitarian Response projects.
- Good understanding on global and national framework on Humanitarian response mechanisms
- Knowledge and experience in Global standards and universal commitments.
- Strong communication and awareness raising skills through media, social media, and campaigns
- Experience in project cycle management, logframe development, and proposal writing.
- Practical experience of working with local partners and community capacity building.
- Strong reporting, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Willingness to travel in field location with very basic facilities.
- Excellent English writing and communication skills.
- Diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player
How to apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email email@example.com
Please note due to urgency of the vacancy , the selection will be done on a rolling basis.
CORDAID is an equal opportunities employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.