How Head of Project Management fits into the Integrity team
H/PM will be a senior management role at Integrity, providing internal and external leadership on the design and delivery of Integrity’s Project Management (PM) service and related systems and tools. They will play a key role in driving continued PM best practice across the portfolio.
Managing projects is context dependent and can vary hugely in complexity and content. To perform effectively in a range of contexts, it requires a sensitive mix of technical, operational and financial expertise. Effective programme management requires constant balancing between these different elements. Our approach integrates leading expertise with a strong understanding and empathy with our clients and the delivery contexts they face.
We offer a smarter, evidence-based approach to project management. We integrate the thoughtfulness of a research institute with the practical delivery skills of a larger development consultancy, underpinned by a deep understanding of the local context. Building on our expertise generating robust evidence in fragile and conflict affected states, we design and manage adaptive projects through effective feedback loops from beneficiaries, clients and other key stakeholders.
H/PM will work closely with Director Services to oversee a growing 20+ project portfolio that includes several prime, multi-year projects across the world. These include a major access to justice and grant management programme in the Levant, the Learning and Monitoring Programme Somalia for DFID, and the Independent Monitoring, Research & Evidence Facility for a major DFID migration programme across North and West Africa. You will be responsible for designing and rolling out a strategy that continues to refine our external PM service offering, with a particular focus on further growth into implementation-type contracts. Additionally, this strategy will continue to develop our internal PM systems and processes to meet both client and internal requirements. You will also work closely with the project management cadre across the directorate.
The H/PM will sit within our Directorate Services which leads the design and delivery of our work. The H/PM role includes responsibilities in company strategy and management, technical delivery, business and proposal development, and wider institutional learning. The H/PM will work flexibly across Integrity’s different services and directorates and be attracted to a fast-paced working environment.**
Your role will be based in London and you will report to Director Services. You will work closely with other Heads of Services and Thematics, as well as the project management cadre. You will also work closely with Directorate Business to design new projects, manage consultants and build relationships with key partners and institutions, and with Directorate Operations and Directorate Corporate on the development of new systems and processes.
H/PM’s Scope of Work
H/PM’s role is focused on providing technical and management leadership to drive quality, efficiency, consistency and profitability across our bids and contracted portfolio. Positioned at senior management level in the company, the role also includes strategy and management functions. You will own Integrity’s PM strategy and execution and work with colleagues to develop and expand Integrity’s PM capability.
You will play a major role in the delivery of contracted projects, including Project Director positions on high profile assignments. You will have proven technical, leadership and management expertise, including the ability to liaise effectively with senior stakeholders and team members.
You will oversee the PM technical design of bids for clients including DFID, the FCO, USAID and the World Bank. With an understanding of PM best practice models, you will help develop appropriate and innovative approaches and methodologies to meet the needs of our clients and assure the quality of our PM approaches, including work plans. Key thematic areas include governance, economic development, security and justice, fragility and conflict, health and education.
You will drive the increased maturity and scalability of PM practice within the company, building on a range of existing systems and tools. You will lead the consolidation of good PM practice within the company. You will have line management responsibilities and may take on wider company and directorate management functions over time.
This is an external facing role and you will engage with a range of clients, partners and stakeholders on Integrity’s PM offering. This includes representing Integrity and promoting our work at key events and conferences.
Terms of Reference
A. PM Offer, Strategy and Plan (10%)
- In line with the Company Strategy (2017 – 2021), oversee and adapt Integrity’s PM offering through a PM Strategy and Plan that sets out Integrity’s approach - including linkages to our other services and thematics - and how Integrity’s PM capability should grow sustainably over the next three years.
- Engage with emerging PM concepts and best practice and ensure the PM Strategy and Plan is responsive to market requirements.
- Lead internal and external communication of Integrity’s PM service.
B. Portfolio Management and Delivery (50%)
- Work closely with Director Services to manage a high quality, profitable and coherent portfolio
- Continue to drive improvements in PM processes and tools across the portfolio and provide internal leadership to the project management cadre on these.
- Work closely across integrity’s Directorates to ensure alignment and efficiencies between PM organisational and project-specific processes.
- Sponsor select contracted projects in governance and/or management capacities as Project Director and/or as a member of the project governance board.
- Negotiate successful proposals to contract ensuring effective coordination with relevant parties across Integrity’s four directorates.
- Lead on project responses to strategic risks and opportunities.
- Balance internal and external resource requirements.
- Effectively, empathetically and diligently manage relationships with clients, consortium partners and stakeholders more broadly.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget, to high levels of quality and in keeping with Integrity’s ethics and ethos.
- Help lead the Senior Services Forum that coordinates Integrity’s Services functions and activities.
C. Design and Business Development (20%)
- H/PM will provide leadership and oversight to drive the consistency and quality of PM approaches, methods and work plans in our proposals. You will work across Integrity’s Directorates, and with Directorate Business in particular, to develop market leading approaches and to capture new business, including implementation-type contracts. You will:
- Develop and sustain strong working relationships with key government clients and other relevant accounts.
- Contribute to and lead on the technical and commercial design of new Integrity opportunities, from identification and pre-positioning to developing proposals, including work plans.
- Work with the Integrity team to provide constructive quality assurance of technical and commercial offers on selected new programmes and/or bids.
- Contribute to key company processes for business development, for example the development of relevant Standard Operating Procedures.
D. Thought Leadership and Learning (5%)
- Enhance Integrity’s PM approaches and methodologies – including with our other established services - with a view to promoting innovative practices and positioning the organisation as a practice/thought leader.
- Share knowledge gained through project delivery and wider experiences with the internal team, including informal training/coaching attached to best practice models of project management.
- Drive the company’s participation in external technical events, fora and relevant communities of practice in the PM space.
E. Staff Management (10%)
- Line manage select Integrity staff and/or corporate consultants at grade levels below SM2.
- Mentor and support colleagues.
- Work with colleagues under line management to develop their careers, contributing to professional advancement, job satisfaction and personnel retention.
- Work with colleagues not under line management to support their professional development in areas of specific expertise or companies, including supporting the development of in-house training materials and delivery of training.
F. Company Management (5%)
- Eligible to sit on the Executive Management Committee and Company Committees (e.g. Risk, Resource, HR).
The successful H/PM candidate will have:
- 10+ years’ experience working within the international development and/or the consultancy sector.
- Proven expertise in the design and delivery of complex multi-year programmes and projects, including workflow planning and management, budget management, contract management and risk management.
- Strong people skills evidenced by client and team management experience, including through Project Director and Project Manager level roles.
- Experience of developing and running effective and efficient project management systems.
- Staff management and mentoring experience
- Intermediate level MS Excel (minimum).
- Written and oral fluency in English, with excellent communication skills.
It is desirable that H/PM will also:
- Have thematic experience in conflict, security and justice, governance, economic development, climate, natural resources and environment, health and/or education.
- Have experience working in the international development sector / FCAS environments.
- Be an advanced user of relevant project management software, including ability to build systems.
- Speak French or Arabic to a working proficiency.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form at www.integrityglobal.com/apply and attach a CV and Cover Letter at the bottom of your application.
The closing date for applications is 1 May 2020. However, we will review candidates on a rolling basis and the vacancy may be filled before this deadline. We encourage early applications. Please be advised that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Integrity is an equal opportunity employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We will respect your confidentiality and abide by UK data protection laws.