Position: Grants Coordinator
Location: Manila, Philippines, with travel to the field
Duration: 6 months, with possible extension
Reports to: Country Director
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
In the Philippines , RI has a humanitarian and development portfolio that responds to the emergency and long term needs of communities living in fragile settings, with support from the EC, Start Fund, UNICEF and other donors. In February 2020, RI will initiate a new program which aims to contribute to peace, stability and greater prosperity in conflict-prone areas of Mindanao. In particular, the program will enhance the ability of state and civil society structures in conflict-prone areas of BARMM to jointly plan and implement inclusive, sustainable initiatives that seek to reduce the risk of conflict and promote peace and stabilization.
The Grants Coordinator is an integral team member with RI Philippines’ Grants Management, Development & Communication Team. Based in Manila, but with regular travel to the field (Mindanao and other areas), he/she will work closely with RI’s Project Managers to ensure RI’s humanitarian-development program activities are in line with donor requirements. This includes project monitoring, compliance, reporting and showcasing of results to donors. In addition to grants management, he/she will closely work with the CD and Program Development Department to explore new program opportunities/development, assist in preparation of concept note/project proposals, coordinate with potential partners, consultants/expert, donor agencies and other relevant stakeholders.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Grants Management (50%)
- Provide comprehensive Grants Management oversight and coordination, working closely with Project Managers in the Philippines and RI’s Awards Management Department
- Keep up to date with in country donor policies, applications, calls for proposals and reporting processes, and ensure compliance such policies and guidelines
- Support the country team in project mobilization and close-out
- Lead, follow up and coordinate the timely close out of grant contracts;
- Support program teams in preparing interim, final and other required reports, including working together with M&E team as required
- Analyse project progress, ensure proper budgets follow-up, analysis, projections and budget realignments where needed
- Ensure strong coordination with GSO and RSO for contractual and financial issues as needed.
- Develop, manage and follow-up on partner grants
- Ensure that all grant files are up to date and that copies are kept in the field and sent to Manila in a timely manner.
Program Development (30%)
- Work with country program team’s in leading and supporting the coordination and development of competitively strong concept notes and proposals based on context, needs and donor strategies
- Lead and support primary and secondar needs assessments
- Develop fund raising strategies, explore new funding sources and opportunities for on-going and new programs and projects
- Liaise, consolidate and manage current and potential donor relationships
- Build and manage relationships with national and international partners
- Conduct regular donor mapping, collate cross-sector information management and draft funding requests in coordination with the Program Director
Support country program (10%)
- Conduct joint analysis and part of lessons learned exercises to inform new projects and program direction;
- Visit and monitor field activities to develop new programs with Manila and field teams
- Contribute to project follow-up meetings and ensure adequate follow-up on agreed action points.
- Provide capacity building on grants related issues, documentation and visibility activities for field teams.
- Provide strategic inputs for the country programme and strategy
- Advise the program team on donor strategies and new program directions
- Provide technical support to projects where relevant including visits to field offices
- Regularly meet with project managers to discuss program reports and progress
- Ensure efficient and effective information management on RI grants
- Represent RI at external meetings, working groups and other meetings as required.
- Prepare newsletters, material for external communication
- Support advocacy on issues related to program components through contacts and co-ordination with donors and other key actors
- Participate in organizational level coordination and coordination calls
- Lead and facilitate the organization’s visibility activities in collaboration with field area offices and project mangers
- Maintain effective communication with key stakeholders, partners and other organizations;
- Perform other duties as needed
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve the required results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in international development, humanitarian studies, business, management or other sector-specific technical area;
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in managing grants, especially large and/or consortium grants and developing programs in a humanitarian / development setting;
- Wide experience in effective strategic level communication and coordination with national partners, central and local authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- In-depth knowledge of international development programming;
- In-depth knowledge of social sector and humanitarian needs and activities in Iran;
- Excellent writing and research skills and computer literacy, including previous proposal writing experience and success at winning public and private foundation/sector awards. MUST have previous proposal writing experience to apply;
- Strong budgeting and financial forecasting skills, including experience in preparing business plans;
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment;
Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently;
Fluency in English and strong English writing skills is required;
Maintenance of confidentiality at all times;
Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours;
Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
How to apply
Please submit your application package here: