Director, Southern Africa
Position : Director, Southern Africa
Location : Maputo, Mozambique
Contract Duration: 24 months
Forcier is a multi-sectoral research and monitoring & evaluation firm delivering the highest quality research in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Our core services include program evaluations, opinion polling, third party monitoring, and capacity building for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments and private sector clients operating in post-conflict and challenging environments. Forcier currently operates two regional offices in Africa in South Sudan and Mozambique, with satellite offices in Lesotho, DRC, Uganda, Kenya and Egypt.
Forcier is seeking a Director for its Southern Africa business unit. The Director is responsible for the overall management of the unit and serves as the direct line manager for the Director of Research, Director of Operations, and Business Development Manager. They are responsible for overall project management and ensuring the business unit is run efficiently and effectively. The Director provides mentorship and guidance to the research side of the unit on a range of topics including client communication, project management and staffing, fieldwork management and budget management. They ensure standard operating procedures are followed in the operations and finance departments, while looking for new ways to build capacity and bring innovation to these departments. They are responsible for contributing to the success of business development in their unit through the provision of in-depth knowledge of the resources (time, money and people) needed to complete a project in various contexts. Overall, the Director is responsible for ensuring the success and stability of the unit and its activities throughout Southern Africa, which primarily focuses on projects in Mozambique, the DRC, Lesotho, Zambia, Tanzania, and Malawi.
Forcier is looking for a Director that is a dynamic leader with knowledge of research, personnel management, financial management, and business development. The Director must approach the challenge of implementing projects in complicated and complex settings with excitement and a commitment to quality. An ability to manage a variety of people and competing priorities simultaneously, while also championing accountability, respect and fairness is essential; being a strong mediator and manager of expectations is vital to success in this position. They must demonstrate an aptitude for building capacity and tackling difficult situations with innovation and flexibility. Our ideal candidate is a proactive leader, strong communicator, and passionate problem solver.
· Working closely with the business development team to identify opportunities and ensure proposals are dynamic, competitive and budgeted accurately.
· Monitoring and approving all budgeted project expenditures, operations expenditures, and wages and salaries expenditures
· Overseeing the finance department in the unit, including checking the quality of the work done, the fulfillment of policies and procedures rolled out from headquarters, and monitoring the cash flow from various vantages.
· Closely collaborating with the Director of Research and Research Officers in the unit to ensure research is being conducted in a high-quality manner.
· Introducing and collaborating on innovative policies and procedures related to finance, operations and research management.
· Ensuring the unit is compliant with all standard operating procedures.
· Leading recruitment processes to ensure the office has adequate personnel for permanent and project-based positions.
· Examining and evaluating financial information including profit and loss statements, budget actualization, and AR/AP for the unit.
· Fulfilling requirements to do with the ability for the unit to operate in the region including liaising with local government entities and stakeholders, as well as understanding the various specific laws of each country related to the unit.
· Ensure a positive corporate culture and environment within the Maputo office and unit staff in other locations.
· M.A. degree (or equivalent) in business administration, political science, anthropology, international relations, international development, economics, statistics, or a related field, OR B.A. degree (or equivalent) with 5+ years of work experience;
· Fluency in written and spoken English is required; Portuguese or French will be considered a significant advantage.
· Experience in management of operations, finance, and human resources.
· Prior experience in project management including planning, logistics, managing budgets and resources, and client communication
· Experience collaborating with and managing diverse, multi-cultural teams
· Ability to conduct themselves in a professional manner with it comes to client and partner communication and interaction, and liaising with upper-level management
· Excellent knowledge of Office package, including good skills in Excel
· Ability to work entirely independently in a stressful environment
· Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines
· Creativity and an ability to think outside the box to conceptualize projects, design systems implementation strategies, and coordinate limited resources
· Strong communication skills, cultural sensitivity, curiosity, sense of humor and a ‘can do’ attitude
· Salary commensurate with relevant experience, and in line with Forcier compensation guidelines
· In-country living stipend
· Accommodation at the Forcier guesthouse at your assigned duty station; or a similar arrangement organized by Forcier
· Round-trip flights from your home base to duty station at the start and end of the contract
· Additional flight allowances during contract period
· Generous paid time off
· Medical and evacuation coverage
· Local transportation
Please visit www.forcierconsulting.com/careers to view the job description on our careers site and apply to the position.