Roving Operations Lead (Maternity cover)
24 month fixed term contract
Do you want to play a key role in an organisation which stands up for children? Then join us as Roving Operations Lead for the Emergency Health Unit and lead a combined team on emergency responses in humanitarian crises. This is a maternity cover contract to run until December 2021.
In our Humanitarian department, we fight for children every single day. We integrate emergency and development work, through our country programmes. We increase our capacity to meet the assistance and protection needs of children and their families affected by crises. We go the extra mile - and we don’t rest until the work is done.
As Roving Operations Lead, you will directly lead the emergency response providing health services for the most vulnerable children affected by emergencies. The role of Operations Lead is to make sure the health and logistics team get to the disaster as fast as possible and provide high quality emergency health care to children and their families, working closely with the country office staff and local partners.
You will collaborate with other operations leads and heads of the Inpatient unit and be familiar and up to date with their regional priorities and ways of working. In addition you will collate with the Latin America and Caribbean regional team as well as:
- Engage with the identified priority countries both remotely and on visits to prepare for emergency health deployments in likely categories of need
- Work with the head of operations, project officer, supply chain manager and finance partner on deployment budget planning and proposal development
- Line manage your team providing direction and guidance on competing priorities and urgencies of the response
- Develop and implement an effective exit strategy for the EHU interventions
- Ensuring SCI and/or established CO mechanisms for child safeguarding are followed and monitored in programmatic activities.
To be successful you will have significant emergency leadership experience in setting up rapid response teams in emergencies, including public health. You will have strong leadership and problem-solving skills and will be confident in working with senior leadership in country and regional offices. You will have experience of undertaking representational duties with UN, donors and partners and ministries of health. In addition you will have:
- Proficiency in writing clear and targeted proposal reports, critiques and evidence-based analyses
- Experience of security management responsibility of a team in insecure environments, with a strong understanding of current international affairs and geopolitical dynamics
- Experience in the challenges of managing a remote team
- Substantial experience of creating, planning and managing budgets
- The ability to travel to remote and insecure locations at short notice.
Proficiency in a 2nd Language such as French, Spanish, Swahili or Arabic is desirable.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you.
Jobs are positioned within the salary structure on the basis of evaluation. New employees would normally be appointed at the bottom of the grade, however the appointed salary may also take into account the relevant experience a candidate brings to a role. Save the Children is committed to paying staff in a fair and equitable way and will benchmark all salary offers in line with the pay of existing staff.
Closing date: 8th December 2019
Please be advised interviews may take place before the closing date on a rolling basis.
To apply please visit our website via the link below: