Programme Manager – Conflict, Gender and Disaster Risk Reduction, Central African Republic
About the role: This is a 12 months new role, with unaccompanied terms based in Bossembele, Ombella M’Poko prefecture, with frequent travel to project locations and with a salary of of Grade 3 €36,527 - €40,586.
The PM will report to the Area Coordinator in Bossembele and will line manage National Assistant Programme Manager Conflict, Gender and Disaster Risk Reduction, and a programme team of 9 staff (indirectly)> He will work closely with Area Coordinator, Health and Nutrition support PMs, FSL PM, Programme Director, Logistics Coordinator.
Job Purpose: The Conflict, Gender and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) PM will implement, lead and manage the Conflict, Gender and DRR components of Concern Wordwide’s Irish Aid funded MAINGO Ti E (Development with us) programme in Bossembele, Ombella M’Poko prefecture in CAR.
The PM will be responsible for:
· Oversee the implementation of the Conflict, Gender and DRR component of the MAINGO Ti E programme, ensuring timeliness and delivery according to the activity plan and results framework ;
· Ensure the programme adheres to Concern’s Conflict, Gender and DRR policies, to best practices and to all internal policies and procedures ;
· Ensure participation of the community in the implementation of programme through appropriate mechanisms ;
· Reinforce the capacity of the community to deal with gender, conflict and disaster related issues ;
· Ensure that the programme addresses the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable ;
· Liaise with all relevant technical Advisors at HQ level and other similar programme teams in Concern countries, to ensure quality of programme ;
· Build the capacity of all members of the team assigned to the project in facilitation, reporting and activity planification skills ;
· Inspire a sense of trust and commitment within and among the team with respect to the communities we work with, the programme itself, and the procedures of Concern ;
· Coordinate with other organisations in the same location to ensure timelines, packages and conditions are agreed to minimise problems and security issues and to organise joint activities wherever possible ;
· Liaise with other implementing partners in similar programs to ensure appropriate coordination of intervention.
· Revise programme operational plans (chronogramme, procurement plan) based on plan submitted to donors, on implementation so far, and according to best practice, where necessary ;
· Liaise with departments of Logistics, Administration/Human Resources, Finance to ensure programme is implemented according to procedures – ensure the team engages as well ;
· Ensure that the materials, equipment and other articles are ordered and received in time, and that they are of the required quality ;
· Follow-up order and purchases with Logistics, and engage the team in following-up as well ;
· Manage the Conflict, Gender and DRR activities ensuring that they are meeting intended aims and objectives and achieving impact, and inform Coordination in case of delays or issues with implementation ;
· Contribute to strategic thinking and policy decisions on mainstreaming risk management (gender, conflict, disasters) into Concern’s humanitarian response in country ;
· Archive financial, logistic, programme documents ;
· Update the map of the landscape on conflict, gender equality and DRR in CAR, identifying strengths, gaps and areas that require further focus;
· Ensure the delivery of results according to the identified indicators regarding the related logframe outcomes, and according to annual planning and commitments taken with beneficiaries ;
· Actively participate in the Concern CAR team.
· Recruit if needed, manage and support programme staff ensuring that there is a clearly defined structure, up-to-date job description, and reporting mechanisms for each team member ;
· Ensure that all programme staff are managed in accordance with Concern’s policies and procedures and ensure that all staff fully understand, and are committed to, the organization and the programme’s mission, vision, values, policies, procedures and strategic aims ;
· Support and direct staff for their full integration in the team and ensure their open participation to programme conception, planification and implementation ;
· Assist with the provision of or coordinate the training necessary for the delivery of good quality activities ;
· Ensure the staff delivery each of their activities with the required quality ;
· Regularly follow-up with every staff on their satisfaction of work, and exchange feedback on your professional relationship with them ;
· Develop quarterly or monthly chronograms with the Assistant Programme Manager and follow-up with them based on these chronograms. Make sure that every staff does the same with their subordinates ;
· Expect each staff to complete their activity reports in a timely manner and that these are reviewed by the Assistant Programme Manager (APM). The APM should compile those into a monthly report ;
· Agree clear performance objectives for all direct reports, and ensure all team members have appropriately set objectives, and that performance reviews (PDR) are undertaken in a timely manner.
· Manage the programme budget, including regular monitoring of expenditure against budget, in accordance with Concern financial procedures and guidelines ;
· Together with Assistant Programme Manager and Area Coordinator, review financial reports and feedback to finance department on discrepancies ;
· Develop internal budget revisions with the support of the Area Coordinator and the finance team and according to schedule ;
· Develop a clear work and expenditure plan and ensure that the programme is implemented within the agreed/approved budget and timeframe ;
· Ensure that the budget lines are consumed appropriately and make necessary arrangements in case of overspend or underspend during the year ;
· Develop the budget of the following year.
Monitoring & Evaluation, Learning and Advocacy :
· Manage programme in line with Results Based Framework (including logical framework), and the programme M&E plan; and ensure teams are accountable and understand processes
· Ensure team is aware and understand M&E requirements and methodologies and understand their roles and responsibilities.
· Ensure that the information regarding the programme activities and beneficiaries is regularly captured, stored and analysed according to the established M&E Plan
· Organize regular team coordination meetings
· Lead with regular and annual data collection and analysis initiatives
· Ensure that beneficiaries have access to feedback mechanisms and that data is monitored and responses given within appropriate time periods
· Ensure that quality programme reports are produced and submitted to the Area Coordinator in timely manner, according to schedule.
· Participate in policy dialogues at the national level with key partners, including key line Ministries, donors, NGOs, private sector, and civil society, building on and ensuring consistency with relevant international policy guidance;
· Provide policy support and information in the context of negotiations/discussions on conflict, gender and DRR;
· Advocate for issues related to conflict, gender and DRR to authorities, partners and relevant clusters. Influence agenda and priority setting in relevant cluster meetings and coordination mechanisms
· Oversight of programme security - ensure all program staff strictly comply with the Security Management Plan (SMP) and SOPs ;
· Take necessary supplementary or complementary security measures in accordance to SMP where needed within the programme intervention zone, with prior approval from of Area Coordinator ;
· Ensure that staff communicate security incidents in a timely manner ;
· Provide timely security information/updates/alerts for the Area Coordinator and /or SMT member.
· Organize the presence / represent Concern at national and local coordination meetings ;
· With the support of the Programme Director, explore strategic opportunities with key stakeholders to maximize synergies between conflict, gender and DRR in country and eventually develop concept notes for potential joint interventions ;
· At the request of the Area Coordinator, undertake other representational duties.
· Contribute to organisational accountability initiatives, including overseeing the roll out of commitments of Concern under the CHS (Common Humanitarian Standards) ;
· Support other bases in the roll out or implementation of events or activities that promote gender equality, gender sensitivity, etc. (e.g. Int’l Women’s Day, 16 Days of Activism Against GBV, etc.)
· Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of Concern’s Programme Participant Protection Policy and Code of Conduct (P4 and CoC), including the respect of confidentiality ;
· Report to the appropriate manager, all violations of the P4 or CoC, this is a mandatory duty of all staff ;
· Undertake any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the Area Coordinator or SMT member.
The PM’s skills and experience will include:
· Relevant degree (Gender, Conflict Analysis, DRR programming, community development, economy, or related discipline) ;
· At least two years working in development or emergency settings for an international NGO with programme management experience ;
· Minimum two years overseas experience in humanitarian Field work and working in challenging and stressful / high risk environments ;
· Designing and implementing disasters projects and/or DRR programming with a particular focus on Gender Equality ;
· Developing and overseeing grant funded programmes across all phases of the programme cycle ;
· Experience in integrating and evidencing accountability in programming ;
· Proven ability in report writing, research and documentation and experience in proposal writing
· Excellent communication skills in French both written and verbal, and working knowledge of English ;
· Demonstrably strong understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation processes and tools ;
· Proven analytical, planning and time management skills ;
· Willingness and ability to communicate with people and to contribute to local staff capacity development ;
· Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team politically and culturally sensitive ;
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
· Masters in relevant discipline (Gender, Conflict Analysis, DRR programming, community development, economy, or related discipline) ;
· Recent work experience in CAR or DRC ;
· Working through partners to raise and manage major donor grants ;
· Winning funding and overseeing projects from major humanitarian donors and an understanding of institutional donors’ requirements and operating styles.
Concern will also consider someone who is:
· Familiar with the project management cycle ;
· Familiar with logistics and administrative processes ;
· Ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate ;
· Ability to cope with stress, work under pressure often to strict deadlines ;
· Flexibility, adaptability, sense of humour, and patience ;
· Ability to motivate and develop skills of others ;
· Facilitation and interpersonal skills ;
· Analytical and problem solving skills ;
· Ability to assess problems and recommend solutions ;
· Methodical and thorough ;
· Has humor and is friendly ;
· Easily relates to other international and national colleagues.