The Youth Connect activity is one of several activities supporting USAID’s Bridge project, devoted to addressing the development challenges at the nexus of countering violent extremism and resilience. The goal of the activity is to equip vulnerable young women and men in Niger with technical and life skills, networks, and capital for increased strategic economic opportunities. This objective supports the overall Bridge project purpose, which is to address critical unmet needs that are the main drivers of violent extremist recruitment in the Sahel: poor governance, lack of economic opportunity, and perceived exclusion from the benefits and services provided and facilitated by governments in the region.
The Security Manager’s overall mission is to keep all project personnel and assets safe from harm. He/she has delegated responsibility for the day-to-day management and coordination of operational field security activities, provides continuous security and contextual information to the team, ensures compliance with corporate security policies and maintains liaison with the Regional Security and Operations Manager for West Africa (RSOM). The Security Manager will be appointed by the Chief of Party, with concurrence from the RSOM. This position will be based in the Niamey office, with program activities expected to be carried out in Niger. Extensive understanding of the security issues in Niger in collaboration with the RSOM is required.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Security Manager will report to the Deputy Chief of Party of Operations.
- Work with the RSOM to develop, manage, and coordinate all Creative security and safety programs, plans and policies relevant to the project including detailed security procedures that comply with Creative security policies. This will include emergency response drills and communication procedures for the project;
- Provide security, safety and risk mitigation advice and recommendations in collaboration with the Regional Program Manager, DCOP of Operations, and COP;
- Ensure that project staff complies with project security procedures;
- Carry out security assessments of offices, compounds, vehicles, and expatriate housing and make recommendations for required security upgrades, as required;
- Ensure that appropriate risk migration measures are taken by the project to respond to the threats or changes in threats faced by the project. This is to include physical protection measures, safe working routines, movement restrictions, protection equipment and security staff provision, as required;
- Oversee movement control and coordination for the project, including driver and vehicle deployment and staff whereabouts;
- Report security incidents, violations and recommended corrective actions, as appropriate, to the DCOP of Operations and RSOM;
- Ensure all new employees, consultants, and partners working in Creative offices and traveling in Creative vehicles receive appropriate security orientations and briefings;
- Ensure to carry out regular check in calls and communications tests with drivers and field personnel traveling outside of the main cities and or during any critical security incident;
- Work with the RSOM to develop and maintain the project Crisis Response Plans in coordination with the DCOP of Operations and ensure that the contact information contained therein is always up to date;
- Be able to assist with out-of-hours emergency response for the project staff and partners, if needed; and
- Ensure that the Creative Sensitive Information (CSI) Plan is distributed to and is being followed by project staff.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is required;
- At least six (6) years of general work experience and four (4) years of security management experience in the context of international development or in the context of providing security to a large team);
- Field-based security and crisis management experience;
- Experience implementing security policies, procedures, and protocols;
- Previous experience with USAID-funded projects preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in teams and in a collaborative environment;
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented, multi-tasker, and flexible work style;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Competent in MS software, including Outlook, Excel, Word, and SharePoint;
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information;
- Appreciation of and ability to work effectively in, diverse work environments;
- Fluency in spoken and written English highly desired, advanced knowledge required; and
- Fluency in French is required.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
Please apply on our website: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CRE1010CREAI/JobBoard/b093422a-53ee-4b40-...