SYRIA – WASH PROGRAM MANAGER – NORTHWEST SYRIA
Desired start date: 15/12/2019
Duration of the mission: 3 months – Extension depending upon funding
ABOUT THE MISSION…
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The mission is expanding through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI, which started in October 2018. The LEARN consortium funded by OFDA ( Linking Assistance and Relief in Northeast Syria ) will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter and Health, for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria.
The Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
ABOUT THE JOB
SI is looking for a WASH Program Manager (WASH PM), based in Amman and supervising our activities in Northwest Syria.
Under guidance of the Field Coordinator leading the overall programmatic strategy, the WASH PM is responsible for SI’s WASH response in Northwest Syria, consisting today in an integrated WASH response, as well as winterization component.
This role will be crucial in continuing the development of SI’s access strategy in this very hard-to-reach area, affected by both long-term displacement since the early stages of the crisis as well as ongoing tensions in the area.
Placed under the supervision of the Field Coordinator and with functional support from the WASH Coordinator, the WASH PM manages a team comprising one Deputy, 3 Supervisors and 14 Officers.
SPECIFIC STAKES AND CHALLENGES
- Strong access challenges, leading to semi-remote management of our activities from Amman
- Implementation with a local partner, thus requiring a sensitivity to capacity-building questions
- Volatile security situation
- Limited funding visibility
PRIORITIES FOR THE 2/3 FIRST MONTHS
- Ensure close follow-up of the shift from water-trucking to borehole drilling, as part of SI’s WASH exit strategy
- Ensure timely NFI kits distributions as part of SI’s winterization response in the area
- Work closely with SI’s local partner, notably as part of the contingency strategy regarding possible new IDP influx
- Assess relevant further WASH activities, in view of additional funding
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering is strongly preferred. Alternatively, strong technical skills must be clearly proven by means of extended professional experience with engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as emergency WASH Program Manager.
- Proven previous experience in unstable environment (conflict / post conflict country).
- Experience in remote project management would be an asset.
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- WASH response for IDPs in collective sites as a response to early-onset emergencies in conflict areas.
- Knowledge in the construction of emergency sanitation infrastructure, including but not limited to latrines, bathing shelters, handwashing point, waste management systems, rehabilitation of water networks, including network extension, emergency water trucking, chlorination and water quality analysis.
- Skills in hygiene promotion, including distribution of NFIs and targeting, and integration of protection, health, menstrual hygiene management in hygiene promotion.
Soft skills and spirit:
- Ability and willingness to build up the capacity of its team
- Ability to work under pressure
- Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
- Levantine Arabic is highly desirable
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position: starting from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 785 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[LIVING CONDITIONS : ]
Accommodation will be in SI apartments in Amman.
Living conditions are very good and staffs have access to a wide range of restaurants, cafes and bars. Most of occidental products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Amman. The country also proposes several destinations for weekends.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension