Director Global Programme
International IDEA advances democracy worldwide, by supporting the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic institutions and processes at all levels.
International IDEA’s research and knowledge products capture global experiences of democracy and provide decision makers with accurate analysis, data and tools for inclusive political, constitutional and electoral reform. Our efforts to support democratic change also build on our ability to facilitate dialogue at national and international levels, build partnerships and contribute to the 2030 agenda for sustainable development.
The Global Programme is central for International IDEA’s position as the global leader in Democracy and Electoral Assistance. Committed to the principles and practices of democracy, the Director Global Programme has strategic and operational responsibility to lead a diversely talented Global Programme team, providing strategic direction and overseeing the development, implementation and delivery of high-quality programme plans, objectives, and budgets.
As a member of Senior Management and the Management Committee, the Director Global Programme leads strategic planning and internal initiatives. S/he actively contributes to the overall management of the organization, by providing guidance and direction in the development and implementation of strategies in particular with regard to the organization’s knowledge production to support International IDEA’s mandate and work programmes, with an eye toward both future needs and budget realities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the development of high-quality global comparative knowledge and applied research products aimed at supporting and advancing democracy worldwide, thereby securing International IDEA’s reputation as a global thought leader and expert on democratic reform processes, in political, constitutional, electoral reform and democracy analysis and assessment;
- Develops International IDEA’s project portfolio; Identifies programme priorities, performance standards and programme targets; Provides institutional coherence regarding the design and implementation of strategies and programmes; Ensures that global programming adds value to regional programming and promotes continuous improvement and innovation of International IDEAs comparative knowledge;
- Provides strategic direction for the knowledge development priorities of the Institute under the supervision of the Secretary-General and in consultation with members of the senior management and International IDEA’s Member States;
- Influences and promotes cross-regional exchange of knowledge and collaboration; Synthesizes knowledge emerging from the development and implementation of programmes with research and practice;
- Provides substantive leadership, quality control and guidance to the Global Programme team in their provision of evidence-based knowledge, ensuring excellence in programme delivery and impact and relevance to Member States, donors and boundary partners;
- Contributes to the management of International IDEA, as a member of the Senior Management team, by participating in the generation of new initiatives and providing solution-based approaches to the management of the organization;
- Manages positive relationships with International IDEA’s Board of Advisers and governance bodies, facilitating their substantive input into International IDEA programmes; and ensuring appropriate reporting of programme results, new developments and programme modifications;
- Fosters strategic alliances with key actors; Establishes, maintains and strengthen partnerships globally with intergovernmental organizations, think tanks, research institutes, civil society organizations and such other relevant actors;
- Seeks out new, and enhances existing, sources of funding for programmes. Develops positive relationships with individuals and institutions interested in funding focused global programmes.
- Develops and implements strategies to enhance and expand International IDEA’s global programmes in current member states and develops opportunities in countries of interest;
- Leads the Programme Implementation Process as well as Research and Innovation Process providing inputs for improvement;
- Represents International IDEA successfully in all professional circles at the national and international level.
- Recognised as a global published expert in at least one of International IDEA’s thematic areas (political institutions, electoral processes, conflict management, political participation, democracy assessment);
- Combines in-depth and breadth of expertise in own discipline and broad knowledge of other disciplines within the Global Programme; Possesses deep understanding of political processes, general theory and practice of democracy; Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise; Is accountable for the performance and results of related disciplines;
- Demonstrated expertise of applied research, combining knowledge development with practical implementation and impact including policy development and technical assistance;
- Solid knowledge of development co-operation and key challenges in the area of democracy assistance; good understanding of various bilateral and multilateral donor policies and programming procedures;
- Leads through subordinate managers of managers (direct and indirect); Executes functional operational plans and contributes to the development of functional strategy;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the organization;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in a discipline relevant to the work of the Institute, combined with a broad knowledge of related disciplines within the function, in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Applies broad sector and global awareness to drive financial and operational performance across sub-functions;
- Has broad and comprehensive understanding of different systems, theories and practices of relevant programmatic issues, as well as field experience working in various geographical areas and development settings;
- Possesses a successful track record in resource mobilization and partnership building. Is active in the search for information on donors and relevant partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- High energy, maturity and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position discussions at both the strategic and tactical level; Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence”;
- Leads a diversely talented Global Programme team; Establishes a positive working environment that is conducive to delivering results, fostering a spirit of collaboration, strong work ethic and team cohesion;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues; Empowers and inspires teams to reach their full potential through mentoring and appropriate activities for capacity building and development.
- Directs the resolution of highly complex or unusual operational problems applying advanced analytical thought and judgment.
- Guided by functional strategy, impacts results of part of a function, division or region or facilitates the work done by other functions by providing support to impact the organisation.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent communicator and public speaker with the ability to convey the content, relevance and added value of International IDEA’s knowledge products and technical assistance;
- Track record of convening high-level substantive policy dialogues, bringing together multiple stakeholders, including governments, civil society and researchers to address policy challenges;
- Fluent in English and at least one other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is essential. Fluency in Swedish considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Political Science, Law, Economics, International Relations or a related field; PhD is advantageous;
- A minimum fifteen (15) years’ experience of professional work experience in various organizations such as governmental, non-governmental, national, transnational etc. with increasing responsibility in the design and development of policies and programmes in the fields of governance, democracy and human rights;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience in the application of research to policy and programming;
- A minimum six (6) years’ experience at a senior management level in an organization with a record of success in human resources and financial management linking service delivery to strategic objectives;
- Proven record of strong managerial skills - minimum ten (10) years, including motivating, leading and developing teams;
- Proven experience of project cycle management – minimum seven (7) years, including planning and implementation of work plans and budgets;
- Excellent diplomatic and networking skills and experience of high-level representation on behalf of organizations and with donors, member states and partners;
- Proven track record of achieving results in an international or non-profit environment, with demonstrated success in developing policies, procedures and processes and building systems and tools to support a growth-oriented organization.
Terms of Contract:
- International post
- Three (3) year fixed term appointment.
- Salary EUR 9 348 NET plus benefits.
- Applications should be submitted through our website no later than 24:00 (CET) 24 November 2019. Follow the link to apply. https://idea.easycruit.com/vacancy/application/send/2401569/25038?iso=gb
- All applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.