Humanitarian Operations Technical Advisor
Job Title: Technical Advisor, Humanitarian Operations
Reports to: Technical Advisor II -- Emergency Operations
Internal Title: Technical Advisor I
Department: Humanitarian Response Dept.
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: International Telecommuting
The Humanitarian Operations Technical Advisor primary role is to provide the HRD with additional rapid deployment capabilities for breaking and ongoing humanitarian responses. He/she will be primarily responsible for setting up and supporting the following emergency operational focuses: finance, administration, field base set up, and human resources. The Technical Advisor will support HRD direct projects with grant and finance management support and oversight. He or she will facilitate a high standard of field operations management in emergencies; advise on best practices and support capacity building for CRS country programs and partners.
* Master's Degree in international development related field, or its equivalent, required.
* Minimum of three years relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of two years relevant field-based experience in Humanitarian Operations.
* Knowledge of technical principles and concepts in Humanitarian Operations, with special focus on finance. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
* Experience in project design and proposal development. Experience in writing content for proposals.
* Experience with program monitoring and evaluation and analysis.
* Proven experience in establishing and maintaining effective partnerships and in building the capacity of local organizations.
* Knowledge of capacity strengthening best practices. Proven expertise in coordinating operations management and procedures training programs to support the development of emergency response staff.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to navigate the humanitarian coordination system.
* Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
* Knowledge of CRS programming, Integral Human Development, SPHERE standards, Core Humanitarian Standards and Catholic Social Teaching principles preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge/experience of integrating cross-cutting themes such as capacity strengthening, protection mainstreaming, gender, good governance, and peacebuilding.
* Knowledge of the relevant public donors' regulations will be highly desired
* Budgeting and budget management experience required.
Required Languages - Fluency in English; professional proficiency in French, Spanish, Arabic or Portuguese preferred.
Travel - The Humanitarian Operations Technical Advisor will be required to travel at least 50% of time often at very short notice (within 48 hours) and for an average of four weeks (with a maximum of two consecutive months under exceptional circumstances).
Duration: This position is initially for one year only, and if it proves effective and funding permits then it could be extended for additional years.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.