Nigeria – Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator – Maiduguri
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Maiduguri with regular field visits
About the mission
Since August 2016, Solidarités International (SI) has been working in North East Nigeria, mainly in Borno. The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, RRM, food security and livelihood, through the current implementation of 6 programs.
This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure a humanitarian impact. The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles, and there are some positions on turnover.
About the job:
The FSL coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of FSL.
He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of FSL activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of FSL programs implemented in the intervention country.
He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of FSL.
Relevance and quality of projects
Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
Reporting / communication / representation
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Deputy Country Director for Programs
Line report(s) on: FSL team (direct and indirect management)
The main challenges of the position:
The FSL coordinator will be leading FSL interventions of SI in Nigeria. The coordinator will be responsible for FSL interventions as a part of ongoing project funded by EuropeAid. SI is working in consortium with ALIMA who is lead on the partnership. The FSL coordinator will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travel to locations of ongoing/proposed work. This is a challenging position requiring a strong proficiency on Project management and FSL technicity, and solid skills and familiarity with country level coordination, in terms of strategy design/development/implementation and context analysis and proposal writing/reporting.
in terms of management, the good profile would have experience in semi-remote management, big size team, and a solid and proven aptitude in capacity building and technical support to staffs, ideally national and international.
Finally, it is a challenging position for a senior PM or a coordinator, technical in FSL, who keens field proximity but is able to integrate an overall vision at national level to developed new intervention in the sector.
• He/she is in charge of representing SI in the Coordination mechanism linked to the EU project, FSL sector in Nigeria. Coordinating with relevant government departments and coordinating with the other partners as per need.
• He/she is in charge of proper reporting and communication associated with FSL interventions of SI
• He/she is in charge of strategy, coordination, assessment and development of FSL component of SI
• He/she is the mission’s FSL technical referent
• He/She is responsible for capacity building of SI teams on FSL
• Lead development of SI Nigeria strategy on FSL and associated action plans.
• Participation in the strategic orientation of SI in the country and support the identification of uncovered needs and provision of risk analyses on FSL
• Support the harmonization of programmatic tools and guidelines across the teams and the bases
• Ensure strong external coordination with our consortium partners, EU, MRRR, FSL sector and other relevant stakeholders
• Ensure that FSL interventions and teams are coordinating well with other SI teams
• Ensure that SI’s capacities (includes tools, procedures and capacities) are raised on its ability to manage large scale FSL programs.
• To explore and strengthen strategic synergies of FSL with other interventions of SI in the area.
Implementation Goals/ Priorities for the Assignment –
• Ensure meeting of deadlines associated with ongoing FSL programme.
• Increased emphasis on coordination with external stakeholders
• Improve internal collaboration with support department
• Emphasis on timely and quality reporting
• Lead development of SI Nigeria FSL strategy
• Lead the process of developing strategy, action plan on livelihoods and support the team in implementing the same
• Support in exploring FSL needs in Borno
• Support in developing proposals as per need
ü Masters’ degree or equivalent in related sectors of FSL
ü At least 2 years’ field experience as Coordinator or Senior PM positions in FSL sector
ü Ability to develop a strong understanding of the context and to make the project adaptive to the context evolution
ü Experience in context analysis and country strategy development and implementation
ü Experience in proposal design/writing
ü Strong knowledge and experience of project cycle management,
ü Experience in setting up procedures and SoPs
ü Experience in tensed context in terms of security
ü Experience in semi-remote management
ü Experience and knowledge in market and need assessment in FSL
ü Good knowledge and experience on evaluation and monitoring tools
ü Good familiarity with multi-sectorial and integrated approach
ü Previous experience on early recovery and multi-sectorial project is an asset
ü Knowledge about cash based programs
ü Knowledge and skills associated with use of e-distribution processes
ü Strong participative management skills with field experience in delivering training and capacity building
ü Organizational and analytical skills
ü Strong interpersonal and communication skills
ü Very Good and proven writing and spoken English
ü Anticipation and self-organization capacities
ü Great work and stress management capacities
The FSL Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri. He/she is living in a single bedroom with bathroom. The number of expatriates living in the base is quite high and various in terms of nationality: this is a treasure but also requires adaptability and open-minded.
The FSL Coordinator will travel frequently to areas of interventions. He/she has to respect the security measures in place, like curfew time and SI restrictions/rules. The environment is highly volatile, so the coordinator has to adapt him/herself to sudden changes.
SI will offer you:
A salaried post: according to experience from 2640 euros gross per month (2400 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem: 600 USD / month.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension