Contract Management / Compliance Officer, Ultra Poor Graduation Initiative
About the Position
The BRAC Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative seeks to hire a Contract Management Officer for its growing technical assistance practice. The incumbent will support planning and delivery of quality business functions and systems to support best-in-class delivery of technical assistance to a range of external clients.
Reporting to the Director of Technical Assistance of the Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative (UPGI), s/he will coordinate contract and grants management and compliance in support of business operations for the Initiative, which provides consulting services to clients including UN Agencies, bilateral and multilateral funders, international NGOs, and governments. S/he will do this by maintaining business systems and procedures, supporting contract compliance, financial reporting, administering invoices and payments, and supporting allocation of human resources. The role will complement existing functions in BRAC USA finance and administration to facilitate contract management for the work of the Initiative.
This position will be based in New York and will work with staff members in New York, Washington DC and colleagues working with UPGI globally.
Contract/Grants Management & Donor Compliance
- Budget oversight including support tracking of contract revenue and expenditures
- Support donor and client financial reporting, including coordinating reviews and approval before submission to the donor
- Manage and coordinate the approval of agreements, amendments, cost extensions and no-cost extensions
- Ensure that information management systems (e.g., Salesforce, QuickBooks) are up-to-date, including developing and updating systems and processes
Business Operations & Finance
- Support UPGI invoicing, payment, and procurement processes
- Prepare data trends on staff time usage and finances for analysis and to inform leadership’s decision-making
- Help develop standards and best practices related to business operations for delivery of client services
- Coordinate contracting and payments for sub-contractors and consultants
- Support development and use of human resources policies and procedures for UPGI for US-based and global UPGI staff
- Develop budgets, budget narratives, and supporting documents and ensure that proper proposal development procedures are followed
- Liaise with internal teams to ensure that proposals meet internal standards and are donor compliant
- Oversee research on donor compliance and budgeting requirements for new opportunities or existing grants, as needed
Administrative / Other
- Provide inputs to UPGI systems and processes such as time tracking and internal expense reporting
- Work with finance team and legal counsel to support contract negotiations
- Backstop the Director of Technical Assistance, as needed, and complete other administrative duties and special projects as assigned
This position is ideal for someone with a grants management and compliance background looking to develop skills in business operations and finance and administration. The incumbent should have experience working with complex donor compliance protocols. Preferred candidates will have an interest in international development, economic empowerment, and the eradication of extreme poverty.
Education and Experience
- Experience with contract/grants management and proposal / business development. At least 2-3 years of relevant experience required (e.g., supporting finance and administration, contracts/grant management)
- BA in a relevant field (e.g., Accounting, Economics, International Affairs, Social Sciences, Public Policy) required
- Prior knowledge of donor and government regulations required (e.g., USAID, DFID, GIZ, World Bank, ADB, UNICEF, etc.)
- Experience working in an NGO / nonprofit preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent writing skills in English required
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel. Experience with Salesforce preferred.
- Strong government project or grants management skills reviewing a portfolio of contracts or grants. Experience with complex government grants management preferred.
- Experience in efficient and effective systems and process development for organizations
- Creative problem solver; able to easily adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Diplomatic, with strong interpersonal skills, and a high degree of cultural sensitivity
About BRAC USA
BRAC is one of the world’s largest development organizations, dedicated to empowering people living in poverty. Working across 12 countries in South Asia and Africa, BRAC touches the lives of more than 120 million people worldwide. BRAC takes a holistic approach to alleviating poverty with programs that include microfinance, education, healthcare, food security programs and more.
Ultra Poor Graduation Initiative
Through its Graduation programs, BRAC targets the poorest people in a community, known as the ultra-poor, and uses a holistic, time-bound approach to help them improve their health, learn financial skills, and start a profitable business. More than 95 percent of participants in Bangladesh continue on a positive economic trajectory five years after the program ends. To date, BRAC has ‘graduated’ more than 1.7 million households out of ultra-poverty. BRAC’s approach has gained widespread recognition and adaptations have taken root worldwide.
In 2013, BRAC launched the Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative. The Initiative aims to position Graduation as a key driver to achieving Sustainable Development Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms, everywhere. It does this by:
- Advocating for uptake of the Graduation approach by policymakers, development finance agencies, national governments, Non-governmental organizations, and microfinance institutions.
- Effective adaptation and implementation of the Graduation approach in countries around the world, supported through technical assistance, technical assistance and training for external stakeholders interested in, or currently implementing Graduation programs.
How to Apply
This is an outstanding opportunity to support a highly effective, collaborative and innovative non-profit. BRAC USA offers a competitive package including base salary, medical/dental/vision insurance, FSA, life insurance, 401k, annual professional development stipend and generous paid time off. Note that some benefits are subject to a waiting period and more information can be provided to shortlisted applicants, upon request.
BRAC USA is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with state and federal law.
To apply, please upload your resume, detailed cover letter, references, and writing sample here.
No calls, emails, visits, or recruiters associated with this position, please.
Applications received before November 30, 2019 are preferred and the position is open until filled.