Communications and Public Relations Officer
Title: Communications and Public Relations Officer
Reports To: Manager, African Youth SDGs Summit
Country of assignment:Ghana
Host Institution:Youth Advocates Ghana (YAG)
Nationality: Open to all nationalities
Working Hours:35-40 hours per week, Full Time
Starting Date: Immediate (latest, January 2020)
End Date: At least 6 months
Office Location: Nsawam (45 minutes’ drive from Accra, Ghana ).
Youth Advocates Ghana (YAG) is looking for Communications and Public Relations Officer passionate about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to join our team to deliver the 3rd African Youth SDGs Summit scheduled to take place in Accra, Ghana from 10-12 June 2020.
The African Youth SDGs Summit is Africas largest youth gathering on the Sustainable Development Goals. Launched in 2017, the Summit has evolved to become an important multi-stakeholder platform for the youth, national governments, UN entities, local and international organisations and the private sector who have advanced their participation and use of the summit platforms to introduce and promote their flagship programs targeted at the role of the youth within the SDGs implementation.
The 3rd African Youth SDGs Summit will coincide with the 5-year journey milestone of the SDGs adoption- and will present a critical point of reflection / turning point towards unleashing the full potential of the youth to deliver the SDGs in the next decade. The Summit will convene about 1500 young leaders, SDG advocates, students, government officials, development practitioners and world leaders for 3-days of constructive dialogues, debates, awards, networking and exchange of knowledge towards attaining the SDG target by 2030.
The Communications and Public Relations Officer will lead the summits media team to develop and implement a robust communication strategy for the summit.
The Communications and Public Relations officer will report directly to the Summit Manager and will work in close collaboration with the Summit Convener.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and coordinate the full implementation of the summit communications strategy before, during and after the summit
Create contents for the summit social media platform such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
Develop and disseminate awareness raising materials, press releases, newsletters, press briefings and other written media communications.
Develop a database for media houses operating in Ghana and in Africa.
Facilitate media appearances, summit profiling and interviews with major media outlets.
Organize press conferences leading to the main summit.
Editing and proof reading of internal and external documents.
Setup and supervise communications team to support the delivering of the communication strategy.
Coordinate media coverage during the event.
Prepare final media report.
ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATION
A minimum of an undergraduate degree is required. A degree in Communication, Media, Political or Social Science, Public Administration or a related field is preferred. Enrolment in a graduate school programme or advanced degree is a plus.
Language Skills: English (Mandatory), Bilingual (French) is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Proactive and dynamic character
- Media and new media skills
- Computer literacy (MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, video editing, etc.)
In Particular, the ideal candidate must meet the following requirements:
Be knowledgeable on the Sustainable Development Goals, the African Union Agenda 2063 and general policy environment in Africa.
Be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing.
Be able to work under pressure and respect deadlines.
Have previous experiences in communication and event role-working with the media; in implementing communication strategies; in managing social media, including content creation.
Must possess an ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, and work well with others in a fast-paced environment. Should be able to organize own work with limited supervision.
Must possess sense of initiative, discretion, mature judgment and attention for details.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
● The position is voluntary. YAG cannot pay salaries or other allowances as part of this assignment.
● For international applicants,the applicant is responsible for his/her travel to and from Ghana.YAG can however send an invitation letter and other supporting documents to secure visa.
● YAG will assist the intern to find accommodation for the duration of the internship.
● YAG is not responsible for living expenses, necessary visas and related costs.YAG will provide information on estimated cost of living etc.
● Certificate of service and recommendation letter will be issued to the applicant at the end of the service.
● The intern through our works will be exposed to local and regional networks around his/her interest to broaden understanding and experience.
● YAG staff and volunteers are always available and happy to support the intern around local realities for easy integration into our field of work and community safely.