Finance Advisor - Yemen
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Yemen since 2010, focusing its interventions on meeting urgent humanitarian needs across the country while building resilience and social cohesion. With funding from USAID, WFP, DFID, GAC, and others, Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in Yemen to respond to WASH, Food Security, Livelihoods, and other priority needs
General Position Summary
The Finance Advisor provides short-term support to the Mercy Corps Yemen leadership and in particular the finance department. The role is focused on four key aspects; 1) mentoring and coaching of the finance team in-country, 2) identifying needs for capacity building on financial systems, procedures and regulations and developing a training plan for delivery, 3) reviewing the process map for the finance department functionality to support in increased efficiency, and 4) developing a financial plan that aligns with the country strategy in terms of sustainability and future growth.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Mentoring and Coaching
- Support country finance leadership in prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provide continuous coaching to country finance leadership on leadership skills, behavioral approaches and communication methods for effective and strong management across organizational structures and layers.
Field Support and Capacity Building
- Support with the recruitment of new finance hires as necessary by providing technical vetting criteria and reviewing applications and interview processes.
- Provide on boarding to new senior finance staff on Mercy Corps financial policies and procedures as well as donor rules and regulations for financial management.
- In coordination with finance leadership and HQ finance team identify needs for training on compliance, regulations, tools and systems.
- In coordination with country leadership identify needs for training to non-finance teams in particular to improve collaboration and efficiency of processes.
- Develop training plans for finance and non-finance staff and deliver on them.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- In agreement with field finance leadership identify tasks or projects requiring support in particular
those having increased risk and requiring time, effort and resource investments.
Strategy and Planning
- Review finance team structure in light of country strategy and budgetary limitations to advise senior leadership on strategies for effective delivery and sound financial management.
- In collaboration with the field finance leadership, review team functionality and expand understanding of their roles and responsibilities within the wider country structure.
- Support in the preparation and review of country level financial management reports (budget vs. actual, master budget, financial projections, warning reports) for consumption by senior management team, country director, regional leadership and HQ.
- Review and update country office specific policies and procedures to reflect adequate internal controls, including but not limited to: Approval authority matrix, Segregation of duties matrix, Cash management policy, Filing systems etc.
- In collaboration with the senior management team, review and develop a plan of action to address the results of the internal audit conducted in February 2019 in preparation for the upcoming audit of 2020.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Country Director
Works Directly With: the Yemen country finance and compliance manager and all Yemen Finance team members. Close collaboration with the HQ Regional Finance Officer (MCG) and International finance officer (MCE) (in particular for technical financial matters) and members of the senior management team of Yemen.
Knowledge and Experience
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance required; advanced degree preferred.
- At least 4 years of progressive financial management experience, including supervisory experience required.
- At least 4 years' experience in grants management as well as an understanding of USAID, DFID, GAC, and WFP regulations required.
- At least 3 years' international experience required; international NGO/PVO field office experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Prior experience in mentoring or coaching is an added plus.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Previous experience in insecure environments.
The successful candidate will have an ability to interact effectively with senior leadership at the country office and across multiple departments and functions. The candidate will have the necessary technical skills to provide advisory support for sound financial management; as well as the necessary soft skills required for mentoring and coaching of teams remotely. The candidate needs to be a good listener, articulate communicator, flexible, able to provide constructive feedback and understand/value diversity of perspectives and approaches.The candidate will also need to have strong understanding of planning and time management along with techniques to deliver the same to a wider group of team members.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The Finance Advisor will be based in Amman with trips to Yemen (Sana'a and Aden) depending on visa being secured.Given the short term nature of the role and expected travel, temporary housing will be secured in Amman providing the necessary amenities for comfortable living conditions and conducive working environment.
When traveling to Yemen, the finance advisor will be hosted in Mercy Corps guesthouses with basic amenities in a moderately secure environment with restrictions on movement.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.