Base manager - DRC
About the role: This is a 12 month, new role with unaccompanied terms based in Butembo, Nord Kivu province, DRC with a salary of Grade 3 (€35,811 to €39,790).
You will report to the Area Coordinator in Goma and will line manage the storekeepers, cashiers, logistics officer and administration assistant in Butembo, and work closely with the Emergency Programme Manager in Butembo, Security Officer in Goma, Emergency Programme Managers (PMs), Goma Base Manager, Logistics Manager, HR Manager and Systems Director (SD).
We would like you to start around 15th November 2019.
Your purpose: is to provide day-to-day support to the implementation of the programme by ensuring that the systems (logistics, administration, HR and finance) are functioning according to the needs of the programme and in line with Concern’s policies, procedures and standards. The Base Manager will be responsible for overall security management for Concern’s field operations of Butembo programs in the Nord Kivu Province.
You will be responsible for:
Logistics, Finance and Administration for the Butembo base:
Ensuring adherence to Concern’s systems and procedures for logistics, administration, HR and finance functions, with support from the AC and the SD.
Managing logistics functions (procurement, transport, storage, asset management) in Butembo, ensuring all tasks are carried out in a timely manner and in line with Concern’s and donor procedures.
Responsible for maintaining up to date list of visitors to Concern programming in Butembo as well as ensuring all necessary travel and logistics planning is being followed up by the relevant departments.
Fleet management; overseeing and maintaining the programme transport management system, including vehicle movement planning and scheduling maintenance/repairs etc.
Managing Concern’s assets in Butembo ensuring all assets are recorded, tracked, marked and monitored using a full inventory and asset register, which is updated on a regular basis.
Overseeing the efficient management of Concern warehouses and stores in Butembo through regular spot checking and ensuring they are operating in accordance with Concern procedures.
Overseeing the maintenance and running of Concern premises in Butembo (office, residence and stores) ensuring that adequate supplies, staffing and support systems are in place. Special attention paid to generator management, maintenance, and fuel consumption.
Supporting the Finance and Admin Officer in his finance/administration duties, ensuring regular cash counts and financial checks are conducted.
Human Resources management
Providing management oversight to the programme’s Logistics and Finance/Administration staff.
Recruiting (as necessary) and providing training to relevant staff on Concern’s systems and policies and ensure standards of transparency and accountability are in line with Concern policy and donor requirements.
Ensure that the Performance Development Reviews of base staff is done in a timely and proper manner.
Maintaining up to date staff lists and providing regular staffing reports to the AC and HR Department, advising on staffing needs.
Communications and IT systems support:
In liaison with and support of the National IT officer, ensuring that computer and communication needs of the staff are regularly reviewed, budgeted for, and met, while ensuring that relevant operating protocols are adhered to.
Ensure that all HF, VHF and other communications equipment are operational, used in line with communication policies and that requisite training is provided to staff on usage protocols.
In conjunction with the National IT officer and programme management staff, ensure the training of all relevant programme staff in the use and maintenance of communications and IT equipment.
Security and Representation
You will be the security focal point for Butembo. As the Security Focal Point in Butembo, in close liaison with line management and with the PMs, ensure the day-to-day application of the Concern DRC Security Management Plans (SMP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and the Health Management Plan (HMP) through collaboration with the Security Focal Group.
You will work closely with the Security Officer in Goma to monitor every movement of staff and spread relevant security information regarding movement and displacement to every staff in the area
Ensure all staff and visitors are briefed on the SMP and SOPs and are fully aware of their duties and responsibilities related to security.
In collaboration with the AC and the Security Officer in Goma, you will brief and train Concern’s staff on Individual and collective security in accordance with Concern's collective security requirements and policies, Management and assessment of security risks, Establishment of an early warning system Quick evacuation planning and Hibernation.
You will work closely with the Security Officer for North Kivu, based in Goma, to implement and review the risk analysis assessment and mitigation plan.
- You will be in charge to maintain an appropriate level of vital stocks, including food, water, medical kits, blankets.
- Represent Concern with local authorities and/or the UN OCHA Security meetings, INSO meetings and other members of the humanitarian community in Butembo. You will be in charge to develop and maintain contacts with the different stakeholders and establish a network with national authorities as well as NGOs and UN agencies concerned with security.
- Undertake analysis of security incidents and trends in the zone of intervention and surrounding areas, ensuring that line management is regularly briefed on the security situation and advise as necessary in relation to adaptation of work plans and movement plans.
- Ensure security information is up to date, relevant and communicated in a timely manner.
- Liaise with and develop relationships/contact list of other INGOs and external stakeholders to follow the evolution of security situation and regularly report feedback to management.
Specific CRM (Complaints Response Mechanism) responsibilities:
- Facilitate and coordinate the logistics of the management and extension of the Goma CRM and accountability initiatives and assist in annual staff training on Concern’s P4 and Code of Conduct and accountability commitments and initiatives.
- Assist PMs in the provision of information to Programmes Director for Annual Accountability Progress Report and ensuring that the accountability implementation plan is being carried out.
- Provide input to country team budget development process particularly in relation to logistics, transport, stores, administration, communications, security and human resources and directly manage the Nord Kivu transport and admin budget.
- Ensure that logs, transport and admin reports are compiled and produced to a good standard on a regular basis as required.
- Implement the recommendations of the audit report
- Train staff on HR, Logs and admin procedures
- Ensure all staff and visitors are briefed on EVD Health Management Plan and are fully aware of their duties and responsibilities related to security and staff welfare.
- Ensure that all necessary measures under the HMP (temperature checks, hand washing) are being followed in the Butembo base
Your skills and experience will include:
- Primary degree in logistics, supply chain management or associated discipline
- At least 3 years’ Systems/Logistics and Finance experience, with management experience, of which at least two years’ working overseas with an NGO; Logistics/Procurement/Transport/fleet management experience; stores management experience ; Finance and compliance experience ; Security management experience
- Excellent communication skills in French, both written and verbal
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team
- Ability and willingness to live in basic conditions for long periods of time
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- MSc or A degree in development studies or relevant field
- 2 years’ experience in management role
- Strong communication, problem solving and analytical skills. Able to prioritize and handle a diverse and heavy workload.
- Proven ability in report writing
- Proven analytical, planning and time management skills
- Outgoing personality with excellent training skills
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Experience of working/living in an insecure environment
Experience or knowledge of international standards such as SPHERE and Core Humanitarian Standards
Kiswahili or English would be an advantage
Les candidatures en français sont les bienvenues
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.