Operations Risk Manager, Arlington, VA
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1996 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Operations Risk Manager leads the functions of enterprise risk management, travel operations management, HQ vendor management, and business development support. She or He will be the corporate focal point for safety and security for headquarters and field offices. This position will be based in HQ with up to 15% annual travel.
ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT (50-60% of the time)
Safety and Security Management
- Serve as the organization’s technical subject matter expert on matters of security.
- Own organizational responsibility to meet industry benchmarks for Duty of Care.
- Work with the director of operations, the project management unit, and security focal points to develop and monitor minimum standards of safety and security for all SI offices, including headquarters, field offices, and partner offices where required.
- Build and maintain a strong network of security focal points across all field offices to facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Interface with, and coordinate the support of, third party security and risk management service providers to Social Impact’s short and long-term projects.
- Collaborate with field office and field operations teams to determine and address security issues in the field as they arise.
- Monitor and provide internal updates on key global security issues and safety trends with implications for Social Impact’s travelers and field offices.
Business Continuity and Crisis Management
- Own Social Impact’s crisis management system, including serving as the main point of contact for its 24/7 global crisis hotline for staff.
- Maintain records and analyze trends in critical incidents experienced across the organization (both at HQ and in the field offices) and provide guidance as needed to communicate lessons learned to relevant parties.
- Identify organizational safety and security training needs and conduct training or coordinate them through SI’s third-party security service providers at both the HQ level and in the field.
- Coordinate planning, procurement, and preparation of high-threat environment awareness training (HEAT) for staff.
Policy and Procedure Development
- Proactively oversee standards and processes to meet Social Impact’s duty of care towards its staff and enhance the safety, security, and emergency preparedness of Social Impact’s teams and operations at Headquarters, Partner Offices, and Field Offices.
- Own, review, and update SOPs for safety and security.
BUSINESS OPERATIONS SUPPORT (40-50%)
- Serve as the main point of contact and manage Social Impact’s travel services vendors.
- Manage travel tracking systems and ensure compliance with Social Impact’s travel-related duty of care requirements, including but not limited to emergency data and appropriate insurances.
- Own, regularly review, and update travel and related SOPs.
Facility Security Clearance
- Serve as the Facility Security Officer for Social Impact’s facility security clearance.
- Liaise with Social Impact’s third-party vendor to ensure the effective execution of the following tasks related to SI’s facility security clearance;
- Maintain the E-FCL, DISS, NISS, and JPAS accounts and records for the company.
- Maintain personnel clearances for cleared staff and initiate new investigations for staff whose work requires a security clearance.
- Coordinate efforts across departments to maintain compliance with government requirements. As needed, ensure subcontractors are compliant.
- Support capture management by providing operational environment context for field operations.
- Support proposal development in the areas of management, travel, security, and field operations.
- Ensure operations and security costs are integrated into project budgets and activity planning.
- For new awards, ensure that operations and security issues and concerns make the transition from business development to the startup team.
Field Operations Startup Support
- Provide surge capacity as needed to support field operations in the areas of office startup, management, and closeout. Support might be provided remotely or on the ground at the field office location.
- Other duties as assigned.
Contribute to the ongoing development of the BOSS division program for professional development and teambuilding.
- BA in a related field; MA preferred;
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant work experience in international development safety and security, travel management, program management and/or emergency preparedness fields with increasing levels of responsibility over time;
- Experience living and working abroad, preferably in Africa/Horn of Africa or the Middle East. Work experience in a high threat environment preferred;
- Working proficiency in French, Spanish and/or Portuguese desired;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Familiarity with organizational security standards, duty of care requirements and familiarity with operational and security practices for high threat environments;
- Advanced First Aid or EMT knowledge preferred;
- Effective oral and written communications skills;
- Ability to work with a diverse set of staff in various technical areas and at various levels within the organization;
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information;
- Proactive and solutions-driven;
- Clear thinker under pressure;
- Diplomatic and effective team player and leader;
- Active Secret Level Security Clearance preferred.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To apply, please visit our website: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SOCIIMPA...
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.