Zambia Monitoring and Evaluation Associate
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are seeking a smart, dedicated and analytical M&E or field research professional to be an M&E Associate in Kabwe, Zambia. Overall, the M&E Associate will be responsible for using data to continually improve our operations, and impact on our customers. The M&E department at 1AF operates like an in-house research department and the results are used first and foremost to inform program decision-making and to rigorously understand impact. The M&E Associate will also spend approximately 25% of their time taking the lead on 1+ product innovations projects.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Goaloriented survey design, field-testing of survey instruments, and revision.
- Innovate to ensure efficient and action-oriented data collection and results.
- Conduct data analysis and write reports to draw both early and final conclusions and actionable results.
- Work closely with the Field teams to ensure the M&E results and recommendations are understood and acted upon.
Supervision of local M&E management including Field Coordinator, Data Manager which support a team of ~ 20 part-time enumerators. This will include the following duties:
Regular mentorship of M&E managers through field visits, meetings, and career reviews.
Infield supervision of key M&E activities, with an eye to "perfect" quality standard.
Qualitycontrol and supervision of data collection processes.
- Overseeing Infield followup on errors.
- Oversee the hiring and development of M&E staff.
- Update hiring protocols when necessary, and use them to hire topquality data collectors.
- Conduct regular trainings to improve skills of data collectors.
- Appropriately deal with underperforming staff.
- Product Innovation support
- Non-Ag trials support: technical advisor on trial design, impact measurement, data collection and data analysis (such as irrigation, mechanization)
- Increased understanding of our clients - research specialist (agricultural trials not included): Farmers Needs Assessment, focus group discussion, barrier analysis
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. Youll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. Youll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 2 to 5+ years of work experience, and a demonstrated longterm passion for international development. We are looking for truly extraordinary candidates that will help take our organization to the next levels of impact and scale. This is a competitive posting for a career-track role with minimum initial commitment of two years. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong and relevant work experiences, such as prior fieldbased M&E or data collection/research experience
- Academic or professional experience designing and implementing evaluations/research and analyzing findings
- Solid quantitative skills and experience with statistical software (STATA preferred)
- Ability to multitask well and meet deadlines consistently
- Masters degree in International Relations, Public Policy, Statistics or a related field preferred, but not strictly required. Bachelors degree in a related field from a reputable university is required
- Positive attitude oriented towards personal growth and learning and ability to take feedback well
- Logical and structured thinker with clear and compelling written communication style
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work
- Humility and personal stability. We have a fantastic and likable team. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- A willingness to commit to living in Kabwe for at least two years this is a longterm, careertrack role
- The ideal candidate will have at least two years demonstrated experience working in Zambia or in the developing world, in a similar work environment
- Language English required. Local Zambian languages are an asset
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes; Zambia country nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com).