Election Operations Manager- Iraq
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international, non-partisan, non-profit organization that supports citizens’ right to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by:
· Providing technical assistance to election officials
· Empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process
· Applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle
Since 1987, IFES has provided assistance in 145 countries and it currently has programs in over 20 countries throughout Asia-Pacific, Africa, Eurasia, the Middle East and North Africa, and the Americas.
About IFES’ Iraq Program:
Since 2003, IFES has provided technical electoral assistance to Iraqi authorities and civil society stakeholders. IFES has provided advice to these stakeholders on incorporating electoral processes into Iraq’s post-conflict transition and establishing a legal and institutional framework for elections, including the creation of an independent election body.
The overall objective of IFES’s current electoral assistance program is to support the Independent High Elections Commission (IHEC) in planning and conducting credible elections and ensuring integrity of the electoral process. IFES Iraq Provincial Election Activity (IPEA) project provides technical and operational assistance to the IHEC as it prepares for the conduct of upcoming provincial elections scheduled for April 2020.
IFES seeks a senior election operations expert to advise the IHEC on preparations and conduct of electoral operations such as voter registration, elections planning, staff training, general and special voters polling procedures, elections technology solutions for electoral operations, elections security, and post-elections activities. In addition, the expert will assist the IHEC in evaluating and implementing post-elections lessons-learned exercise. This is a long-term staff position based in Baghdad with occasional in-country travel.Job Responsibilities:
- Advising and assisting the IHEC with the development of contingency plans which build on lessons learned from the previous elections, taking into consideration the new IHEC’ strategic goals and objectives, to ensure the election process remains on track;
- Providing technical advice, recommendations, and on-job training on electoral operations planning, procedures, and implementation based on international standards, best practices and comparative analysis;
- Facilitating the transfer of relevant experience on electoral management to the IHEC’ staff members, especially directors of departments, heads of sections and governorate electoral offices (GEOs) managers through daily advice and trainings;
- Reviewing and assisting with drafting of electoral regulations and procedures related to election operations as requested by the IHEC;
- Providing technical support to the IHEC on post-elections evaluation and implementation of lessons- learned activities;
Advising the IHEC on new technology solutions for electoral operations focusing on voter registration, voting, counting, and results transmitting systems;
Conducting trainings for the IHEC staff members on election operational issues as identified by the IHEC,
Establishing, maintaining, and developing relationship with the IHEC, international and national partners, peers, subordinates, and consultants at large;
Liaising as necessary with international and national technical advisors and experts, the IHEC’ technical subcontractors, and civil society organizations in consultation with the IFES Iraq Country Director and/or IFES HQ;
Identifying new approaches and modalities that are adaptable to achieve established targets;
Contribute to project internal and external reporting and delivering presentations and briefings to the relevant stakeholders and donors as required.Qualifications:
Minimum of ten years of relevant work experience directly related to elections technical advice, election administration and operations; with minimum 5 years of experience in working in international environment preferably in MENA region;
Bachelors degree or equivalent in Political Science, International Development, International Law or other relevant discipline; Masters preferred.
Experience in providing specialized technical assistance, capacity building, and training on electoral processes to election stakeholders in Iraq or the region;
Experience in advising national electoral authorities on electoral frameworks and systems and elections planning and operations;
Ability to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
Demonstrated understanding of the issues and challenges of the existing electoral system in Iraq;
Proven track record with democracy and governance programming in developing countries;
- Familiarity with political, economic, and social issues in Iraq and/or the MENA region;
- Written and spoken Arabic language skills required;
- Ability to manage and develop strong local relationships;
- Experience in working with USAID-funded programs is a plus.
Successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Team player with excellent interpersonal/representational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills both in Arabic and English;
- Ability to builds strong relationship with counterparts, focusing on impact and results;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational, and communication skills;
- Capacity to work under pressure, manage stress and adapt to rapidly evolving situations;
- Sound time management and organized skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of national counterparts;
- Proven management experience with sound knowledge and experience in all aspects of project cycle;
- Flexibility and willingness to live and work in hazardous conditions.
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”