Senior Program Officer - NE Nigeria Programs
Working closely with the FHI 360 Nigeria team in Washington, DC and in Nigeria, the Senior Program (SPO) officer will be responsible for supporting FHI360’s growing portfolio in Northeast Nigeria. The current portfolio includes funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) as well as UNHCR and Shell. Interventions include activities in integrated humanitarian assistance and education programming across WASH, health, and gender-based violence (GBV), and education in emergencies sectors to vulnerable populations in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
This position is the lead programmatic backstop for projects in northeast Nigeria. Working closely with project leadership, the SPO will contribute to ensuring efficient, quality implementation and reporting and contribute to new business.
- Program management, administrative, and technical support to FHI 360’s projects in northeast Nigeria
- In coordination with Nigeria Program Manager, track project timelines, budget, objectives, and deliverables.
- Design, implement, and coordinate specific program activities and may conduct research to achieve program goals.
- Ensure accountability of all project activities.
- Document and share project accomplishments, challenges, and lessons learned among internal and external partners.
- Build staff capacity to deliver results in conflict environments
- Serves as the liaison for internal units, such as finance, contracts, centers, etc.
- Typically requires 8+ years’ experience in program management and supporting field implementation, preferably in humanitarian or conflict settings
- Overseas or headquarters-based experience in post-conflict or humanitarian relief required; experience in WASH, health, nutrition, education or GBV programming an advantage
- Experience and knowledge of USAID and/or OFDA rules and regulations
- Knowledge of the humanitarian sector including sphere standards and NGO code of conduct
- Strong knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with program design
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven financial, logistics, and procurement management skills
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English
- Demonstrated leadership experience preferred
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.