Research Intern - Switzerland
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian think tank, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative, which was created in 2010 to facilitate the development of information tools and products that enhance the capacity of aid actors to make evidence-based decisions in emergency, recovery and development contexts. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in research design; data collection, management and analysis; GIS and remote-sensing. For more information visit: www.impact-initiatives.org and www.reach-initiative.org.
We are currently looking for a Research Intern to join the IMPACT team in Geneva, Switzerland
Position: Research intern
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Starting Date**: TBD (depending on profile)
Remuneration: 1050 CHF/month
The Research Intern will be part of the IMPACT Research department, working on different stages of the research cycle. Based on these terms of reference and initial briefings, the selected candidate will develop upon the start of the internship a specific set of objectives and a work-plan, which will be reviewed at regular intervals during the internship period and will serve as a basis for evaluation upon completion of the internship. The focus of day to day tasks of the internship will be determined based on the intern profile. Potential intern profiles could be candidates with a background in data science, mathematics, statistics or similar; candidates with background in international relations, development studies, political science or similar; or candidates with a background in social research, anthropology, monitoring & evaluation or similar. Regardless of daily task focus, the role includes exposure to all stages of the research cycle: research design, data processing and analysis, reporting results.
- Develop capacity for the planning and implementation of a primary research project, with a specific focus on research design, data processing and analysis, or reporting of research findings
- Gain exposure to research design, including various research methodologies and tools
- Gain exposure to data processing and analysis as well as good practices in analytical writing and data visualization (including maps)
- Develop thematic knowledge in specific areas of interest (for e.g. food security analysis, migration related research, etc.) within the humanitarian and international development sector
- Gain practical experience in the international humanitarian coordination system, and develop in-depth understanding of today’s major humanitarian crises, their main drivers and consequences, and resulting humanitarian needs
- Develop capacity to move to a field-based position to conduct primary research within the humanitarian and international development sector
The Research Intern shall:
- Support with the review of research outputs and documents from IMPACT country teams (for e.g. research reports, research terms of reference, data collection tools, data analysis tools, maps, etc.)
- Track documents and tools, keeping databases up to date at all times
- Participate in and contribute to meetings, including taking minutes
- Support with the development of tools and guidance materials
- Support preparation of presentations and trainings
- Provide other support to IMPACT Departments/ Units as directed
- Good academic qualifications, preferably a Master degree in relevant discipline (International Relations, Political Sciences, Social Research, Economics, Anthropology, Assessment, Monitoring & Evaluation or similar)
- Strong motivation and interest in working with research in the humanitarian and development sector
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Good working knowledge in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work
- Openness to feedback and willingness to learn
- Ability to manage time effectively and work in a fast paced, results oriented working environment.
- Ability to work independently, with initiative, and strong capacity to work in intercultural team
- Fluency in oral and written French, Arabic or Spanish
- Interest in an extended career of research within the humanitarian and development sector, especially the desire to move to a field-based position upon the successful completion of the internship
- Familiarity with the humanitarian aid system
- Experience with primary research, especially in an international context.
- Experience with mobile data collection platforms.
- Experience with programs under Adobe Creative Suite package (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
- Experience with data analysis software packages (R, SPSS, STATA, NVivo, etc.)
- Experience with GIS software (e.g. ESRI)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please apply on the following link: