Deputy Environmental Health Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee in DRC is currently supporting over 80 health facilities through construction of Triages and Temporary Isolation facilities for Ebola suspect cases in North Kivu. Patients admitted to the temporary isolation units and usually kept between 1-6 hours before being transferred to Ebola Transit Centers or Ebola Treatment Centers. Given the magnitude of the need, IRC is currently constructing triages/Isolation units, rehabilitating/constructing water supply and storage facilities and Waste management facilities in health facilities in Goma, Beni, Butembo, Lubero, Mabalako and recently extending these interventions to Mandima Health zones of Ituri. Based on the IRC’s response strategy there’s eminent possibility of expanding these interventions to other areas of North Kivu depending on the emerging epidemiological trends. Staff safety is an absolute priority and strict adherence to infection control procedures will be undertaken to protect staff. Given the tedious nature of the work, personal protective equipment must be worn at all times while in isolation units with strict adherence to infection control protocols, but staff will have ample rest time.
SCOPE OF WORK/RESPONSABILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Environmental Health Coordinator, the Deputy Environmental Health Coordinator will provide direct support to EH Managers in the implementation of WASH/IPC related activities with more focus on Infrastructure designs and construction, supervision and capacity building on water quality, hygiene, sanitation and waste management activities in the Triages/temporary isolation units in partnership with the Senior IPC Managers responsible for supervision of patient management, Deputy Health Coordinator and the Health Coordinator. This position will enter the red zone of the Triages and isolation facilities.
Key responsibilities include:
• Contribute and support the EH Coordinator in the design of new programs including the development of new proposals and budgets for the EH/WASH interventions in DRC.
• Support Design and Assessments/studies that are geared towards identifying existing hygiene and sanitation practices, IPC-related risks, barriers to safe practices and priorities in IRC targeted health facilities.
• Working closely with the EH Coordinator and EH field staff, undertake analysis of data/assessment findings to inform on design of WASH/IPC strategies and approaches that are sustainable and in line with standard IPC protocols, SOPs for management of highly infectious diseases and basic health care services.
• Support design and planning of activities geared towards reducing risky IPC practices, with reference to both physical and behavioral aspects at targeted IRC supported health facilities.
• Support EH staff in design, development of BoQs, technical specifications, work schedules and/technical reviews of EH related infrastructure activities (water supply, sanitation, healthcare waste management, Pre-triage facilities, Triage and Isolation facilities) at health supported by IRC.
• Provide all necessary technical expertise to the Field EH/WASH and IPC teams in all EH/WASH related activities.
• Support planning of all EH/WASH activities according to grant requirements in collaboration with the EH Coordinator, and the EH/WASH team.
• Ensure that the vital elements of health facility staff participation, ownership and sustainability are being taken into account all EH interventions at the facilities.
• Support training of national staff and health facility staff on IPC protocols and safe practices for overall water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management at the Triages and Isolation facilities.
• Ensure correct strict processes and IPC protocols for overall water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management at the Triages and Isolation facilities are adhered to at all times by staff.
• Support development of requisite and appropriate IPC SOPs from time-to-time when and where required during implementation taking into account changing context and existing practices
• Support strengthened integration of all EH activities with Health/IPC and other program sectors.
Staff Supervision & Development
• Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
• Provide support to EH Manager and Officers on work plans, activity Implementation, work and vacation-resting schedules, and staff training/development activities
• Responsible for initial and periodic briefing, and training of staff on IRC IPC SOPs including conducting periodic competency based assessments, documenting and reporting.
• With the EH Coordinator periodically review EH staff mapping and deployment to response areas to ensure smooth business continuity of the emergency response.
• Responsible for mentoring and supervision of EH Managers including performance management processes.
• Responsible for hiring and training of auxiliary national staff such EH Officers, EH Assistants, Hygienists, Cleaners, sprayers, laundry staff etc.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
• Development/maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and data collection processes including weekly review of the indicator tracking systems in collaboration with the M&E Manager.
• Ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required including contract management of construction contract for related EH activities with EH field staff.
• Consolidation of sector weekly narrative updates with the EH Managers.
• Support in drafting of donor technical narrative reports, study, assessment reports including technical reviews of the same when called upon
Supply Chain and Finance
• Support in development of EH program budgets through accurate projections of program activities costs and supplies.
• Support development of monthly cash forecasts based on planned activities for submission to Finance timely.
• Support monitoring monthly expenditure on program activities and frequent review of the BvA as appropriate to ensure burn rates are consistent with the work plans set.
• Developing and/reviewing standard bid documents for all EH construction related activities prior to submission to SC for further processing.
• Take lead supporting the EH Managers in technical evaluation of construction bids, ensuring competent and competitive contractors are engaged to carryout IRC construction works.
• Collaborate with Supply Chain in follow ups and tracking orders (POs, Contracts, and PRs) to ensure speed processing and in approving internal requisitions of stock for WASH-related activities.
• Collaborate with Supply Chain in ensure proper tracking of EH/WASH stocks as predetermined frequencies.
• Represent IRC in all IPC/WASH Coordination forums in the IRC program areas when called upon.
• Support Liaison with communities through working with Community engagement Coordinator, local Government health institutions and Facility heads on EH/WASH related issues as well as other agencies operational in IRC operational areas regularly to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities.
• Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to Environmental Health Coordinator and IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
• Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
The ideal candidate will have a Civil Engineering or Water Engineering or Environmental Engineering background and experience in Implementing water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management activities in health care settings for highly infectious diseases such as cholera treatment centers and disease-specific treatment units. “Highly desired criteria” include previous work in Triages and isolation facilities, highly contagious area or Level 4 biosafety area, experience working on viral hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola, Lassa, Marburg, etc.) and knowledge of infection control and prevention.
• Excellent understanding of EH issues in emergency situations/contexts and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere) in health care settings
• Strong leadership, management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
• Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment;
• Excellent initiator, able to manage multiple tasks.
• Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
• Competent in Microsoft Office, and CAD of Infrastructures (ACAD, ArchiCAD etc.)
• Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.
• Able to fluently communicate in French and also to communicate in English or local language (Kiswahili)