Program Coordinator, Health Systems Strengthening (Ghana)
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Program Coordinator based in Accra, Ghana to support the USAID Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (HSS Accelerator) program in Ghana.
Please note, this position is grant-funded through 2023. Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a Ghanaian benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
The HSS Accelerator is a global, USAID Cooperative Agreement to strengthen institutions and processes, and build local expertise, to ensure that health systems can tackle future challenges and weather shocks with less reliance on external support. The HSS Accelerator is applying a potentially paradigm-changing approach to support countries on their journey to self-reliance. And, to ultimately ensure that health systems work for the people and communities who need them.
The HSS Accelerator is led by Results for Development (R4D) with support from Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), and ICF. Additional global, regional, and local partners will be selected in partnership with USAID/OHS and USAID Missions based on demand.
Activities in Ghana
Over the next four years, the HSS Accelerator will work with Ghanaian health stakeholders on activities to support the development of a self-reliant health system to advance Ghana’s vision for achieving universal health coverage (UHC). In June 2019, the HSS Accelerator embarked on a scoping exercise to explore opportunities for collaboration and is currently working with Ghanaian health stakeholders to define a scope of work that will be implemented starting in September 2019. The HSS Accelerator is looking to expand its team in Accra to help support the implementation of this activity in Ghana.
The Program Coordinator will provide administrative and program management support to the Accra-based HSS Accelerator team.
Program Coordinators are expected to be self-motivated, able to work independently within a multi-functional team, and have a high degree of flexibility to be responsive to the needs of colleagues and other project stakeholders. Ideal candidates should have strong written and oral communication skills, pay close attention to detail, have a strong commitment to excellence and the ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, multicultural environment. They should also have the interest and ability to learn quickly, with an eye toward developing strong competencies in health financing and health systems strengthening.
This position is based in Accra, Ghana and will report to the Country Engagement Manager in Accra.
- The Program Coordinator will be expected to provide a broad range of coordination, administrative and program management support to the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana, and possibly other Ghana-based projects at R4D. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the development and maintenance of positive relationships with stakeholders, including through seamless coordination internal and external meetings.
- Provide logistics and documentation support for convening of stakeholder meetings, workshops and other events, and represent R4D and the HSS Accelerator with professionalism at events.
- Contribute to the development of high-quality work products, including presentations, briefing materials, meeting summaries, and communication materials (e.g. success stories, newsletters)
- Support routine business processes, such as procurement, contracting, and payments.
- Ensure adequate and organized record keeping and develop user-friendly templates and efficient processes for regular project reporting.
- Support the monitoring of progress on the workplan and the activity budget.
- Over time, make increasing contributions to technical activities, such as conducting desk research on technical and policy issues related to health systems and financing.
- Successful candidates are likely to have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of relevant work experience (e.g., research institution, NGO, consulting firm, government agency, etc.)
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills.
- Familiarity with routine administrative and project management functions.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to coordinate and synthesize inputs and requests from multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write clear and concise emails, meeting summaries, and project reports.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment and within tight deadlines.
- Enthusiasm, good judgement, and humor.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Please click here to apply.