Safety and Security Manager - Venezuela Response
Based in Venezuela
The Safety and Security Manager will work closely with the Response Team Lead and Regional S&S Manager to carry out safety and security assessments; make recommendations and provide support for their implementation by country programmes. The Safety and Security Manager will facilitate the implementation of Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards within country programmes/projects and help drive systemic change in the quality of safety and security management and contribute to building country compliance with safety and security Minimum Standards. He/she will also take forward the organisational security ethos. While on assignment , the post holder will play a key role in the capacity building of Safety & Security Focal Points.
* Engage response and partners staff as well as staff at all levels to facilitate the adoption and compliance with the Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards
* Undertake Security Risk Assessments for any or all areas of intervention in the humanitarian response and humanitarian operations.
* Undertake implementation and compliance with Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards.
* Develop and deliver capacity building in safety and security training for staff and partners.
* Provide safety security management advice, guidance and support to the Response Team Lead and LAC Regional Senior Management Team.
* Provide technical assistance and guidance to partners in implementing action plans based on regional security specialist assessments and recommendations.
* Assess and evaluate country/programme security guidelines and make recommendations for improvements using the Standards in the Save the Children Policy and Standards for security management plans, evacuation contingency plans and standard operating procedures.
* Promote the concept that safety and security plans and guidelines should be jointly developed by the whole team to create ownership and encourage compliance.
* Promote the concept that safety and security is an integral element of programme design and operations and should be amongst the first planning considerations.
* Promote the need for each programme to appoint a safety & security focal point (SSFP) reporting to the SMT and advise on the minimum training standards for each officer dependent upon the country level of insecurity. The manager will play a key role in building the capacity of each SSFP consistent with the assessed need for each programme.
* Promote the need for each country programme to have safety and security as a standing agenda item on the SMT and to form a core Crisis Management Team.
Planning and Preparation:
* Responsibility for ensuring compliance of and alignment with SCI Key Performance Indicators.
* Responsible for preparing, managing and reporting on the SCI Security Budget
* Collaboratively review existing safety and security policies and procedures with the Regional S&S Manager, assess levels of functionality across the response in Venezuela and identify opportunities for modifications to improve functionality related to (but not limited to): incident monitoring and communications (field level), staff movements (in/out of Venezuela, in/out areas of implementation in Venezuela), security risk assessments, etc.
* Prepare and update response safety and security management plan and support development of the partner’s safety and security plans.
* Work in close cooperation with the Response Team Leader and Regional Security Manager in oversight of response, field sites and implementing partners level emergency plans.
* Conduct security awareness training in accordance with SCI policies and procedures and in cooperation with the Regional S&S Manager and Team Leader.
* Participate in the selection of security focal points and ensure that adequate training is provided.
* Oversee assessment of SCI and international staff premises’ locations on regular basis and advice on any possible security measures or change of locations.
* Establish a system for maintaining a consolidated residence map and a response plan for assistance as well as an emergency alert and response plan.
* With the Team Leader and Regional S&S Manager develop scenario planning for security and safety risk management, including triggers for hibernation, relocation and evacuation of international “staff under threat” in high risk situations.
Procedures and Protocols:
* Develop, implement and maintain SCI International Safety and Security Protocols including the emergency medical and evacuation protocols and coordinate with neighbouring Country Offices as necessary.
* Network with other security staff and organizations to obtain information, which can be analysed to better understand the security environment and, through this, develop standard operating procedures relevant to the security setting in which programs are being implemented.
* Communications: Ensure that effective communications are in place including communication tree system, mobile phones and other reliable communications means.
* Transportation: update a written transportation & movement protocol to institutionalize the procedures.
* Develop and maintain a map with Go / No Go areas in collaboration with partners, Team Lead, Regional S&S Manager and UNDSS recommendations, monitor and ensure staff adherence to the set safety and security measures.
* Update in a monthly basis the Pre-Departure Information for visitors and consultants travelling to Venezuela.
* Maintain a good and strong relationship with UNDSS, partners and community leaders
* Support the Team Lead (TL) and Regional Senior Management Team (RSMT) and advise them of possible actions or options in a time of crisis or emergency.
* Immediately advise the TL and when necessary the Regional Security Manager of events affecting or which could potentially affect staff safety or security or cause damage to assets.
* Coordinate information through the relevant reporting lines during serious security incidents.
* Provide Team Lead and Regional S&S Manager with updated reports on the security situation and the steps being taken to mitigate against threats.
* Assist with emergency evacuations in coordination with the Regional S&S Manager and Global S&S Director.
* Investigate and follow up security incidents
* Report security incidents in accordance with SCI protocols and using the online reporting system in timely manner.
Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
* Expertise in current safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work globally.
* Previous experience as an NGO Security Adviser/Manager
* Fluent in Spanish and English (written and spoken).
* Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, establish information and security networks, and coordinate with country authorities, militias, donors, International Organisations and local NGOs.
* Experience of working in high risk environments. Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment.
* Proven ability to undertake Security Risk assessments.
* Proven experience of training multi-national staff.
* Ability to formulate and communicate analysis of a changing security environment.
* Proven skills in concise and succinct report writing. Ability to prioritise security related tasks and complete reports to deadlines.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Proven knowledge of MS office applications and IT literacy and capacity to learn and use other packages.
Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin all aspects of the job. Commitment to Save the Children child protection policy.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.