A DEPUTY COUNTRY DIRECTOR -– PROGRAM – SANAA - YEMEN
Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency - has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices - Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
We are looking for: A DEPUTY COUNTRY DIRECTOR -– PROGRAM – SANAA - YEMEN
Context: In Yemen, based in Sanaa
Since the conflict between Al Houthi and the Saudi-led coalition that started in March 2015, Yemen has become one of the three emergency in the world and is thus facing one of the worst humanitarian crisis, with 80 % of the population who is now in need of humanitarian aid. The context is highly challenging in regards to access to the communities despite significant needs in the country. Airstrike, embargo, high prices, etc have caused a profound deterioration of the nutitritional situation and hundreds of thousands lives are at risk.
Since 2012, ACF has been present in Yemen and has been scaling up its emergency intervention substantially throughout 2016. The mission is now amongst one of the largest International NGOs in the country and is recognized as one of the key emergency actors in the country. ACF in Yemen is responding to the current crisis using a multisector emergency approach (Nutrition & Health, Food Security, WASH and Mental Health programming), and to a multiple large-scale and interconnected emergencies: conflict, food security and cholera epidemic. Along with UNICEF, ACF designed and is piloting the country’s first Rapid Response Mechanism, and is representative of the INGO community on the HCT, ICCM, Access Working Group, the HPF Advisory Board, and on the Steering Committee that manages evacuation for the humanitarian community.
As of today, ACF Yemen is operational in Hodeida, Aden, Hajjah and Al Khokha Governorates and it is working on the expansion of its response in the North and South. ACF has been implementing its humanitarian response in Yemen addressing N&H, WASH, MHCP, FSL and Emergency/RRM.As of January 2019, ACF’s team is running operations of approximatively 14 million EUR coming from different institutional donors and internal ACF funds and is strongly involved in the coordination mechanisms.
ACF Yemen is a large mission with a relatively high number of international (around 25) and national (around 280) staffs based in Sanaa, Hodeidah, Hajjah, Aden, Amman and Djibouti.
Regarding living condition on the mission, the security situation of the country is volatile: active frontlines in Hodeidah and Hajjah Governorates; articulated political situation in Aden and an social and economical degradation in the whole country. It is still a very a high risk, deep field situation with highest level of security at all times. Working conditions will be dynamic and demanding.
Guesthouse in Sanaa is comfortable and fully equiped to ensure good living conditions. Social gatherings with other organizations are possible on regular basis.
The position: You will ensure the overall implementation of the programme strategy of the mission and the quality of the programs as well as the coordination of new project proposals development in line with the mission strategy.
More precisely your missions will be:
- · Ensure the coordination and implementation of programs and operational management in line with country strategy, design the programmatic strategy of the mission and coordinate the development of new project proposals
- · Ensure people development and management
- · Analyse the humanitarian needs
- · Represent and liaise with donors, authorities, local organizations, UN, NGOs on operational strategy and program-related issues
- · Follow-up on management of program budget
- · Represent Country Director when and as required
- You hold a Master’s Degree, ideally in Humanitarian Program Coordination, International Development, International Relations
- Professional Experience
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in the field and in one or more challenging context
- You have leadership and management skills in a complex international setting
- You have extensive knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian coordination mechanisms
- You have good knowledge of main ACF sectors of intervention: N&H, WASH, FSL, Emergency response, MHCP-GP.
- You have consolidate experience of project cycle management and using participatory tools and methodologies for assessment, programs identification, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- You know the main donors policies, requirements and partnerships
- You master strategic planning and program design and development
- You have an experience and/or personal commitment in mainstreaming Gender across the different sectorial programs
- You have excellent managerial skills to coordinate ACF program team to deliver ACF country strategy
- You have excellent personal and communication skills
- You are able to coach on the building of strong relationship with INGOs, government and donors
- You are able to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- You have strong analytical and conceptual thinking; and you are able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
- You are fluent in written and spoken English
- If you master Arabic, it will be considered as an asset.
If you have all these skills and you are a team player, flexible and autonomous. You might be the right person!
Contract: 12 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Remuneration and benefits :
- · Monthly gross salary: from 2 986€ to 3 436€(upon experience)
- · Per diem and living allowance: €616 (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
- · + 12 % of monthly gross salary as country allowance.
- · + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen.
- · + Child allowance, limited to 5 children.
Transportation and accommodation:
- · Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- · Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage:** 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:**
- · 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- · + 20 RnR per year.
- · + 215 € at each RnR period every 6 weeks
- · Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference (United Arab Emirates)
- · Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- · Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- · Intermission Workshop once a year.
- · Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
To apply, please visit our website: https://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/positions/view/4297/a-Deputy-...