Communications / Social Network Associate
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS Hub in Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman covers Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, and implements projects in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Project Background – Job Specific
The Iraq IIC was launched in 2015 following an inter-agency assessment into the information and communication needs of displaced populations in Iraq. Responding to one of the most complex humanitarian crises in the world, the Humanitarian Country Team agreed to the establishment of an inter-agency accountability mechanism that allows affected populations to directly influence the evolution of humanitarian response in Iraq.
The Iraq IIC is implemented by UNOPS and is funded by a range of partners. Since its launch, the Iraq IIC has handled more than 170,000 calls, giving information to more than 1 million individuals. The Iraq IIC’s primary objective is to promote two-way communication between affected populations to:
- Empower communities through the provision of accessible and timely information on how to access humanitarian services and resources required to improve their situation;
- Help ensure efficient and effective coordination of humanitarian actors operating in Iraq by collecting and circulating information about the urgent needs and priorities of affected populations, as well as the information gaps between them and delivering actors;
- Support an environment of transparency and accountability by establishing an easy-to-access and safe mechanism through which critical feedback and complaints can be submitted and referred to humanitarian actors to influence humanitarian programming and shape advocacy.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
UNOPS is seeking Communications/Social Networks Associate to support and enhance communication, engaging content for the IIC project on social media presence, including keeping social media channels updated and brand-focused, and seeking out new social media avenues and ways of connecting with audiences. The post aims to further strengthen and streamline Iraq IIC’s visibility as part of its overall objective to strengthen accountability to affected populations in Iraq.The incumbent reports to the Communication and Reporting Officer, who reports to the Project Manager, and will work closely with Community Engagement Associate and Community Engagement Assistant (Erbil and Baghdad), in order to contribute to the overall project objectives.
With the aim of increasing and strengthening the quality of communications and visibility services provided by the project as well as the internal capacity of the Iraq IIC, the Communications/Social Networks Associate will perform the following duties:
- Assist drafting and editing promotional and/or communication materials in translation and graphic design to raise the profile of the call centre among affected populations and humanitarian actors in Iraq;
- Assist liaising with local media, including editors and journalists in key local news outlets with the objective to facilitate reporting on the IIC’s development efforts in Iraq and regularly update databases and media lists to track the project exposure on media;
- Edit and format project reports and promotion materials and ensure that project promotion materials meet UN/UNOPS branding requirements;
- Follow up on the work of production and printing products for the project;
- Assist in organizing donor and corporate missions.
Social Networks Management:
- Assist in creating dynamic written, graphic, and video content for social media platforms of the project.
- Maintain project social media platform (Facebook and other relevant accounts) to ensure dissemination of the project achievements; engages in social media presence creation on new and emerging social media platforms;
- Use timelines and scheduled content to create a consistent daily stream of new content for audience interaction while analyzing, managing, and altering schedules where necessary to optimize visits.
- Optimize content following search engine optimization (SEO) best practices;
- Engages with the audience on social media on a daily basis to clearly address inquiries and encourages audience participation;
- Analyses and reports audience information and demographics, and proposes new ideas and concepts for social media content;
- Coordinate ad campaigns within the social media strategy;
Other duties as required:
Perform any other duties as requested by the Communication and Reporting Officer;
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Annual communications strategy and plans are fully and timely implemented in strict accordance with UN/UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Communications and outreach activities successfully implemented;
- Communication delivery reached 100%.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit:
- CV indicating necessary qualifications and all relevant experience
- Cover letter demonstrating relevant experience
- Two (2) examples of previous work of graphic design relating to communication and/or social media network.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Master’s degree in Public Relations (PR), Communications, Graphic Design, Journalism, Social Sciences, or any other relevant discipline, with one year of relevant experience. Advanced degree is desirable, but it is not a requirement;
Bachelor degree in Public Relations (PR), Communications, Graphic Design, Journalism, Social Sciences, or any other relevant discipline, with three years of relevant experience.
Secondary school education with a combination of seven years of relevant professional experience can be accepted in lieu of the university degree.
- Experience in using professional-grade design software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suites);
- Strong experience in usage of Microsoft Office software package (e.g. MS Word, Excel);
Fluency in English, Arabic and Kurdish is required;
Experience in communications including managing social media platforms;
Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of Accountability to Affected Populations, and Communicating with disaster affected populations/communities;
- Experience in producing high-quality reports;Familiarity with the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus; United Nations bodies, agencies, entities and departments; current priorities issues, will be a strong asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support, level 7
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.