Law Enforcement Expert
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our client as the guardian of the UNTOC & the protocol to prevent, suppress & punish trafficking in persons, especially women & children (trafficking in persons protocol) & the protocol against the smuggling of migrants by land, sea & air (smuggling of migrants protocol), is mandated to promote global adherence to these instruments & to assist member states in implementing the provisions thereof.
- Accordingly, the assignment supports the implementation of the US Department of State (DoS) International Narcotics & Law Enforcement (INL) funded “Criminal Investigation Program (CIP) for Somalia” activities, as part of the UNODC regional sub program on “Countering Transnational Organized Crime & Illicit Trafficking in Eastern Africa”.
- The objective of the CIP for Somalia is to provide technical assistance & operational guidance in a holistic manner the overall objective to promote & support the effective response to organized crime in Somalia by enhancing the strategic & operational police capacity to enforce laws, strategies & policies. The following 3 main objectives include:
- Strengthen law enforcement institutional capacity to effectively implement UNTOC & its supplementing protocols.
- Enhance knowledge & skills on & capacity to counter organized & other serious crimes through basic & advanced police training programs.
- Increase law enforcement organisational, operational & technological capacity in enforcing laws, strategies & policies through operational support & technical assistance.
- The purpose of the assignment is to support the development of the capacity & competence of the Federal Criminal Investigation Departments & State Criminal Investigation Units of the Somalia Police Force in Puntland & in Somalia overall. Along with trained investigators, there is a need to provide a core of trained investigators to create Criminal Investigation Units (CIU) at selected federal member states. The program will support Chief of Investigations by way of mentoring. In addition, support will be given to the selection, training & mentoring of investigation unit administrators. The Individual Contractor will be involved in the planning, development, establishment & mentoring of Specialist Investigation Units (SIU) based within both the federal & state investigation systems.
- The Individual Contractor will assist the coordination of the project’s day-to-day activities in support of the overall strategic plan. The incumbent will be based in Garowe, Puntland & may be required to travel to other federal member states. The Individual Contractor will work closely with other lead & senior law enforcement consultants based in Mogadishu.
- The assigned tasks are in line with current reform of the Somali Police Force (SPF), under the new policing model (NPM), ratified at the London Somalia Conference, 2017. The capacity building of SPF investigation departments & units is also supported under the Comprehensive Agreement on Security (CAS), strand 2 (b).
Specific deliverable's to be performed by the Individual Contractor:
The Individual Contractor will be carried out under the direct supervision of the Program Management Officer (Head of Transnational Organized Crime, Illicit Trafficking & Terrorism Programs) based in Nairobi, in close consultation with the CIP implementing team. The incumbent will be based in Garowe, Puntland, Somalia. More specifically, the person will perform the following tasks:
- Assist the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants in the development of a work plan in coordination with the Somalia Police Force & our client for the implementation of a Chief of Investigators mentor ship program as well as Investigators management program.
- Conduct an ongoing assessment & assist in the development of proposals & plans for the establishment of specialized investigation units to investigate a range of serious & federal crimes in Puntland.
- Bolster the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants in providing on-going strategic & operational advice to the Chief of Investigations, Investigation Administrators & specialized units in Puntland.
- Support the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants in the development of systems of procurement of hardware & software, to monitor use, condition & maintenance requirements of CID & CIU equipment.
Expected tangible & measurable output(s)/deliverable(s):
Assisting in the development of the work plan: Support the formulation of a work plan on overall assignment, assist in the implementation of a Chief of Investigators mentor ship program & Investigators management program, in consultation with the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants, our client, Somalia Police Force, Puntland Police & respective counterparts wherever necessary & presented to our client for approval. Maintain & update the work plan on weekly basis in consultation with the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants & our client & to submit to our client as well.
Rapid assessment, strategic & operational support in establishment of specialized investigation units in Puntland: Conduct a rolling assessment on the establishment & implementation of a Specialized Investigation Unit in Puntland. Contribute to the development of proposals & plans for the establishment of a specialized unit in Puntland in conjunction with the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants. Provide ongoing in country mentoring support & advice in establishing & strengthening specialized investigation units in Puntland.
Bolster the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants in providing ongoing strategic & operational advice to the Chief of Investigations: Assist the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants in providing ongoing in-country mentoring & advice on prevention, suppression & investigation of serious & organized crimes to the Chief of Investigations. Support the development & presentation of proposals & plans & assist the Lead Consultant & Senior Law Enforcement Consultants to provide support to our client & respective stakeholders, for the procedures & policies required for establishment & effective running of criminal investigation units in Puntland. Contribute to the creation & delivery of a Chief of Investigators & Investigation Administrator course. Meeting reports with national counterparts & other relevant stakeholders submitted to our client. Provide weekly progress report presented to our client. Support the development of an equipment management/accountability system: Provide support in developing management & accountability systems for monitoring the use, condition & maintenance of equipment for the investigation units. Status reports submitted to our client.
- This role will work under the direct supervision of the Program Management Officer (Head of Transnational Organized Crime, Illicit Trafficking & Terrorism Programs) based in Nairobi, in close consultation with the CIP implementing team.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 3 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- University Degree in Criminology, Law, Political Sciences, Sociology or related discipline or relevant work experience in a law enforcement force &/or security service.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in investigating &/or prosecuting of organized & serious crimes.
- Proven experience in establishing specialized units/departments for police force.
- Proven experience in providing technical advice & mentoring for police force.
- Ability to interact with govt. agencies, good interpersonal skills & organizational proficiency.
- Excellent communication & drafting skills in English.
- Excellent analytical & evaluative skills.
- Previous experience working with criminal justice actors in Somalia.
Other relevant information:
Dates & details of deliverable's/payments:
- The individual contractor will receive a monthly remuneration upon satisfactory performance & progress.
Indicators to evaluate the Contractor’s performance:
All the outputs should be submitted in English & meet the satisfaction of our client according to the following indicators:
- Quality of the written documents produced.
Timeliness of the delivery.
The evaluation of incumbent’s performance will be determined by Head of Transnational Organized Crime, Illicit Trafficking & Terrorism Programs) based in Nairobi. If the incumbent does not meet the requirements, s/he will be provided with an opportunity to redraft in terms of the guidance provided by the assessors. If after redrafting the requirements are not met, our client reserve the right to non-payment &/or suspension of the Individual Contractor’ contract.
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link: