Country Director Myanmar
The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) is looking for an experienced Country Director to head our country programme in Myanmar.
We have worked in Myanmar since 2004, supporting democratisation and peace processes. NPA’s Myanmar portfolio consists of a long-term development programme with strong partnerships to civil society organisations, and humanitarian mine action. The total turnover for the programme is currently approx. 31 MNOK, with main donors NORAD, SIDA, Norwegian MFA and ECHO). NPA Myanmar currently epmploys 38 staff, four of which are international.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- The overall responsibility and management of the Mynmar country programme and to lead the NPA Myanmar Management Team, including the overall responsibility and management of the country programme
- Provide leadership, advice and support to the programmes, and facilitate for synergy and cross-utilisation of resources between NPA programmes and projects
- To ensure that relevant strategies, policies, management systems and routines are in place, adhered to and further updated
- Overall financial, logistical and human resource management according to NPA requirements
- Ensure a good working relationship with national authorities, NPA partners, donors, international organisations and other relevant actors
- To ensure that the country programme maintains a comprehensive understanding of the country context, and closely monitor developments, in particular the political, humanitarian and security situation in Myanmar, and provide analysis and advice to NPA Head Office
- The safety and security of NPA staff, assets and resources, and in close coordinaton with NPA Head Office
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to achieve results through others
- Relevant higher education
- Experience as a successful upper level manager in a complex international organisation
- Previous experience from a multi-national environment, preferably from a South East Asian context
- Experience with implementing strategies, plans and achieving results in complex development and/or humanitarian contexts
- Good political intuition, solid understanding of political processes and ability to process sensitive information with discretion
- Experience in fund raising and donor relations
- Ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and work with limited guidance and supervision.
- Strong analytical skills
- You are a good team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural/multi-national setting
- Good writing skills and proficiency in English
- Good computer skills
- Strong health
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience working with local partner organisations
- Norwegian or other Scandinavian language skills
Place of service: Yangon
Starting date: February 2020
Closing date for applications: 27.10.2019
An interesting and challenging work environment. Free accommodation, transport and insurance schemes for expatriates. A one-year contract with possibility for renewal. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. Please note that salary and allowances are subject to income tax according to NPA’s Tax Policy.
A family posting might be considered for this position.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
We emphasize the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, creativity and the ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in the organisation. Thus, female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see NPA’s website at www.npaid.org.
Heena Syeda Hasan
Please apply online as instructed on our website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.