Health Specialist, NOC, Bhubaneshwar, India, SAR (South Asia Region), Post Number:- 10781
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. And we never give up!
Click here to learn more about UNICEF: https://youtube/E1xkXZs0cAQ
For Every Child, AN ADVOCATE
In an effort to measurably improve UNICEF's ability to deliver better results for children, there is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children in the world's thereby ensuring a better future for every child, this is the chance to make a difference. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Field Office and general guidance of the SectionChief,this position will support in leading the health program/s for improved survival of women and children in Assam and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting of program progress of a sector of the health (e.g. maternal, neonatal, Immunization, child survival/development) program/s within the country program. The Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and organizational Strategic Plans and goals, standards of performance and accountability framework.
The Health Specialist, NO-C provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and organizational Strategic Plans and goals, standards of performance and accountability framework.
Summary of Key functions/accountabilities:
1. Support to Programme development and planning2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results3. Technical and operational support to Programme implementation4. Networking and partnership building5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
1. Support to Programme development and planning
• Support/contribute to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis for the sector/s to establish a strategic plan for development, design and management of health related programmes with focus on immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS program management. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.• Participate in strategic programme discussion on the planning of health programme. Formulate, design and prepare a sector of the health programme proposal, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with UN Development Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies focusing on immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent and HIV/AIDS program management.• Establish specific programme goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for programme review and approval.• Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results focusing on immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS).• Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors (WASH, Nutrition) and achievement of results as planned and allocated (with focus on immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS)..2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
• Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS sector in health programmes.• Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.• Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programme and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.• Actively monitor programmes/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.• Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.• Prepare regular/mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.3. Technical and operational support to programme implementation
• Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on health and related issues to support programme development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.• Participate in discussions with national partners/clients/stakeholders to promote health and development issues especially in the areas of immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health, and HIV/AIDS.• Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration.• Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.4. Networking and partnership building
• Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity and exchange knowledge/expertise to facilitate the achievement of programme goals on children rights and social justice/equity.• Build and sustain coordination of maternal, adolescent and HIV program implementation across different sections of UNICEF through development joint program planning and implementation • Prepare communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programmes (immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS programs).• Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency discussions and planning on health and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNSDF planning and preparation of health programmes/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNSDF process in development planning and agenda setting.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
• Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.• Keep abreast and conduct research to provide evidence for implementation of best and cutting edge practices in health.• Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.• Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.• Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS related programmes/ projects.
IMPACT OF RESULTS
The efficiency and efficacy of programme preparation planning and implementation of immunization, child health, newborn health, maternal health, adolescent health and HIV/AIDS health programmes contributes to the delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the Health/Country Programme that directly impacts the improvement of the health of the most marginalized and vulnerable women and children in the country, and this in turn contributes to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to continue to provide programme services to protect the rights of children, promote greater social equality to enable children to survive, develop and reach their full potential in society.
Requirements of the position (QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES):-
A medical doctor degree with advanced University Degree in public health, pediatric health, family health, obstetrics/gynecology, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, epidemiology or other health related science is required.
A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public health planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness. Relevant experience in health program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity.
Core Competencies (Required)
Communication [II] • Working with People [II] • Drive for Results [II]
Functional Competencies (Required)
Leading and Supervising [ I ],Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ],Analyzing [III],Relating and Networking [ II ],Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ], Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=526890