National Legal Adviser
Terms of reference
Post Name: National Legal Adviser
Post base: Yangon
Supervisor: Team Leader
The Denmark-Myanmar Program on Rule of Law and Human Rights (2016-2020) supports the Union Attorney General’s Office, the Office of the Supreme Court of the Union, lawyers, CSOs as well as the law departments of Dagon and East Yangon Universities in strengthening capacities on core aspects of rule of law and human rights and supporting reform in relevant areas. The program which has a total grant of DKK 70 million (approximately USD 10 million) is based on participatory approaches supporting partners to identify their own needs and priorities and taking lead in implementation of activities.
The governance of the program is based on joint decision-making with partners through co-chaired Steering Committees. The programme is part of the Denmark-Myanmar Country Program (2016-2020) endorsed by a bilateral government-to-government agreement between Myanmar and Denmark as well as MoUs with all key stakeholders. A Joint Venture comprised of the International Commission of Jurists and the Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR) has been contracted to provide technical assistance to the program through a team of experts supporting implementation.
The Joint Venture is seeking a National Legal Adviser play a leading role in the implementation and delivery of the Program’s work in relation to working with Union Attorney General’s Office, the Office of the Supreme Court of the Union and the protection and promotion of human rights and the rule of law. The position will be contracted by the International Commission of Jurists, and will join the Joint Venture team in Myanmar.
The ideal candidate has senior experience in advising, managing or implementing programmes in the governance, human rights, or rule of law sectors. Extensive experience of working with Government partners in Myanmar at a high-level is required. Candidates with legal training, knowledge of international human rights, and an understanding of the legal system in Myanmar will be considered favourably. The position will be based in Yangon, however frequent travel to Nay Pyi Taw and other project locations will be required. The National Legal Adviser will work under the direct supervision of the Team Leader who is based in Yangon managing the implementation of the programme.
Reporting directly to the Team Leader, the National Legal Adviser has the following responsibilities. Specific outputs related to the below responsibilities will be discussed and agreed with the Consultant:
· Advise on and contribute to the timely completion of programme activities according to agreed workplans and budgets, including: supporting partners to develop joint work plans, prepare training materials, and support activities such as trainings, capacity building workshops, and conferences. This will be in close collaboration partner Government institutions, UAGO and OSCU;
· Develop and maintain a close working relationship with OSCU / UAGO counterparts. This will include liaising directly with Government partners in Nay Pyi Taw, building effective working relationships with key contacts, following up on planned activities, and providing technical advice where necessary
· Assist the Joint Venture and Team Leader to build and maintain smooth and collaborative relations with Government partners;
· Support the planning, preparation and delivery of meetings of the programme Steering Committees;
· Provide contextual analysis of legal and political developments affecting the implementation of the programme outputs;
· Assist with programme activity monitoring, and compiling data and documentation as required; and in preparing progress reports for partners and the Embassy of Denmark;
· Function as the Programme’s representative in Nay Pyi Taw when required, and ensure all Joint Venture policies and procedures are followed, especially for finance, administration and procurement;
· Maintain good working relations with all partners, and members of the legal and human rights communities in Myanmar, as well as the Embassy of Denmark;
· Other programme related technical and operational support that may be required.
Education & Experience
· Relevant degree is required e.g. Law, International Relations, Political Studies, Social Science, or a related discipline. Further academic studies in International Human Rights, Law, or International Development (essential);
· At least 3-5 years of relevant professional and/or programme experience is required, preferably in the justice system in Myanmar, or in a related sector such as governance or human rights-based development programming (essential);
· Extensive experience working with Government partners and liaising with Government institutions at State/Region or Union level (essential);
· Knowledge of international human rights law (desirable);
· Experience in supporting the implementation of rule of law and human rights programmes (desirable);
· Work experience in capacity development and /or training (desirable);
· Experience working with international development cooperation programmes or projects and liaising directly with international agencies and donors (desirable);
· Strong analytical, planning and organizational skills;
· Ability to build effective working relationships and partnerships, particularly with Government counterparts.
· Good communication skills. Excellent English and Myanmar language skills (read, write and speak);
· Experience in translation and interpretation to and from English is an advantage;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Power point;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team;
· Openness and flexibility, capacity to adapt to changing priorities and needs;
· Demonstrated commitment to human rights and rule of law.
The contract is based on a policy of equal opportunities and offers a competitive salary package. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
APPLICATIONS close on 25 October, 2019 and should be addressed with a cover letter, resume and names of at least 2 references to:
Ref: National Legal Adviser, Yangon, Myanmar
By email: email@example.com