The Oakland IRC’s Health and Wellness programs ensure that newly resettled refugees and underserved immigrant populations in the Greater Bay Area have access to psychosocial and case management support to serve their adjustment needs as well as additional culturally and linguistically sensitive mental health referral support services. This includes offering mental health screening, domestic violence screening, social support groups, limited case management, and referring clients in need to relevant partners. The Health and Wellness programs also ensure the creation of a culture of trauma-informed care throughout IRC services. Under NAFS, the Wellness Promoter will provide holistic case management and supportive services to the Afghan population of Eastern Contra Costa County, as this community and its associated needs continue to grow. The Wellness Promoter will conduct mental health assessments, domestic violence and sexual safety assessments, facilitate social support groups, and aid in client referrals to external partner agencies.
This position will be based at the Jewish Family & Community Services office in Walnut Creek, California, and will report to the JFCS program manager. The position will also be a part of the Health & Wellness department at IRC Oakland and will be required travel to Oakland’s office for weekly meetings.
- Perform intakes, screenings, and service planning to ensure clients’ wellbeing needs are met.
- Work in close collaboration with wellness teams located at the IRC and JFCS.
- Work with team members to identify, screen and support with navigating barriers to care for clients determined to have a high probability of physical and emotional stress.
- Provide time-limited case management services to high-needs clients.
- Facilitate 2 community based group support groups through Pathways to Wellness curriculum to promote emotional wellbeing and provide opportunities for refugee connection and support.
- Conduct Bridge-to-safety screenings to assess for domestic and sexual violence; provide appropriate referrals to community mental health and/or other service providers.
- Ensure accurate tracking and data entry of client notes, assessments, and referrals
- Ensure that program services are provided in accordance with quality assurance standards
- Conduct home visits for hard to reach and isolated individuals for check-ins and case management services
- Develop and maintain healthy and supportive relationships with clients, utilizing appropriate boundaries.
- Ensure clients with identified mental health risks or interest in specialty mental health care have linkage and referrals to culturally and linguistically appropriate mental health care partners.
- Ensure clients with needs related to domestic and/or sexual safety are referred to culturally and linguistically appropriate domestic violence partners.
- In collaboration with the Program Coordinator at JFCS, seek out community partners and collaborations to increase clients’ access to mainstream mental health services.
- Actively participate in relevant team meetings.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Associate degree with an emphasis in Social Work, Psychology, sociology or an equivalent field of study minimum. Relevant work experience can be substituted.
- One+ years of relevant work experience in direct service with vulnerable clients. A significant portion of this experience would include responsibilities in community-based services, social services, education, capacity building and/or humanitarian relief.
- Understanding of community integration, resettlement and migration trauma.
- Proven ability to communicate and present in a group setting.
- Cross-cultural awareness and communication skills.
- Experience with psycho-social programing preferred.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience working directly with underserved populations.
- Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member.
- Very well organized and excellent reporting skills.
- Self- starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency in spoken Dari or Farsi required
- Fluency in spoken Pashto preferred but not required
- Responsibilities split between field based and office environment.
- Travel to field site operations often.
- Access to reliable transportation required.