Consultant - Technical Market Systems Development Support for MARLI and STEDE Pprograms - Ethiopia
Title: Technical market systems development support for MARLI and STEDE programs
Project Location(s): Remote and Somali Region
Mercy Corps is an international humanitarian and development organization whose mission is to reduce suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states - Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amahara - and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and participating public.
In Ethiopia Mercy Corps is implementing different programs in the Somali region. The 'Markets, Resilience and Livelihood Improvement for Refugees and Host Communities (MARLI)' project is implemented in partnership with WFP and funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA). The 'Strengthened Socio-Economic Development and Better Employment Opportunities for Refugees and Host Communities in the Jigjiga Area (STEDE)' Action is being implemented in partnership with DRC, and aims to improve employment and livelihood opportunities for up to 54,000 vulnerable refugee and host community individuals. Both projects are being implemented through a market systems development (MSD) approach.
- Objective of Consultancy
The objective of this consultancy is to provide remote and in-country technical support for the two programs, helping to cover while the Director of Programs is on extended leave.
The consultancy is intended to:
- Support the MARLI and STEDE teams to develop technically sound and viable intervention concept notes for new interventions
- Support the teams to accelerate the process of identifying suitable private sector partners and building effective partnerships built on MSD principles
- Provide technical support in drafting terms of references for external technical support, such as business development services or business feasibility studies
- Identifying and forging relationships with actors outside Somali Region, who could be suitable partners
- Provide a technical check in for interventions being implemented and be a sounding-board for the team
Support effective technical reporting by the program teams to donors
Help draft / review intervention concept notes, through skype calls and email exchanges
Help draft / review ToRs for external business technical support
Regular check-in calls with the team leadership and the Senior MSD Advisor, to support
- Conduct one field trip in late-November / early December to Jigjiga and Dollo, to provide mentoring and support for the program teams, in particular relating to partnership selection and mentoring
- Conduct relationship-building (calls, emails and in-person) with potential lead firm actors or business technical support services.
Provide guidance on structure and content to program teams, and provide technical review support, for the MARLI quarterly reports due end-Oct and end-Jan, and the STEDE quarterly report due on 8th
Duration and timeframe
The consultancy is expected to be conducted in 27 to 30 days in October / November / December/ January, with at least eleven days in-country in Ethiopia.
- Dollo: 9 days (remote) across Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan, and 5 days (in-person) in late November
Jigjiga: 9 days (remote) in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan, and 5 days (in-person) in late November/early December
The consultant will be responsible for delivering the following:
- A pipeline of quality intervention concept notes (and discovery investment / research concept note) submitted to the Senior MSD Advisor for approval
- Quality Terms of reference (TORs) for external business technical support
Technically sound reports submitted to the donor
Required Experience & Skills:
The ideal consultant will have the following experience and skills:
- 5-10 years of experience in designing, analyzing and/or implementing MSD programs
- Experience in conducting market assessments is essential. Experience in designing market system interventions and developing concept notes is highly valued
- Experience coaching or mentoring staff or partner organizations in market assessment methodologies
- Knowledge of the Somali Region context is preferred
- English fluency required; Somali language skills are a very strong added advantage
Needs and deliverables may change throughout the course of the consultancy. All deliverables must be technically approved by MC Ethiopia Senior MSD Advisor, and formally approved by Country Director to be considered final.
The consultant will report to:
MC Ethiopia Senior MSD Advisor
The consultant will work closely with:
MARLI Program Manager and the MARLI team
STEDE Consortium Manager and the STEDE team
- Application process
Apply with CV and cover letter no later than 20th October 2019