Head of Legal Affairs
We are seeking a Head of Legal Affairs to bring legal expertise to the company. The post holder will be responsible for the provision of legal advice and professional guidance relating to: client contracts, consortium contracts, consultant contracts, commercial contracts and due diligence and compliance.
a. Client Contracts
- Review and advise on Client Contracts issued by clients.
- Assist in the identification and negotiation of Client Contract deliverables.
- Instruct and inform Options’ staff about the content and conditions of contracts.
b. Consortium Contracts
- As appropriate, draft or review/advise on the construction and content of Teaming Agreements.
- Draft sub contracts with prospective Partner Organisations following on from the Teaming Agreement.
- Review all sub contracts issued by Partner Organisations, advising on any changes required and contributing to the negotiation process as necessary.
c. Consultant Contracts
- Oversee the contracting procedures for engaging the services of consultants.
- Provide advice for the drafting of specific Consultant Contracts as needed.
d. Commercial Contracts
- Draft and negotiate a range of commercial contracts pertaining to Company operations.
e. Due Diligence and Compliance
- Manage the due diligence process including reviewing and managing Due Diligence and carrying out vetting checks, escalating areas of concern to Options’ directors, and making improvements where necessary
- Monitor the application of compliance-related policies and procedures as appropriate, providing leadership for business-critical areas of compliance including UN Global Compact Code (Anti corruption element) and Anti-Trafficking legislation.
- Draft policies where necessary to ensure donor and client compliance requirements are addressed.
f. General management of legal affairs
- Review the company’s standard documentation, such as templates for Consortium Contracts, Teaming Agreements and Consultant Contracts, to ensure they remain comprehensive, compliant, up-to-date and in line with best practice.
- Provide leadership on all legal aspects affecting the business through participation in Options’ Operational Management Group, including making recommendations for systems that govern contracting procedures any improvements to operational processes.
- Devise, organise and run training sessions on key contracting and compliance issues for staff as necessary including training on Anti-Fraud & Bribery and GDPR.
- Engage with staff that have responsibilities pertaining to the legal operations in Options’ international offices, providing leadership and guidance for ensuring compliance practices and procedures are implemented in the international teams.
- Advise the directors on appropriate entities for operation in different country contexts, including instructing or assisting overseas counsel in the registration and maintenance of overseas entities and thereafter ensure ongoing compliance of such entities.
- Provide advice on the legal requirements for maintaining Options’ associated charitable entity, Options for International Health
- Maintain insurance for the business and responsibility for annual renewal.
- Provide ad hoc advice to the business on all areas of law including Property advice, GDPR, Intellectual Property and Procurement.
- Law Degree or equivalent level legal qualification (English Law) such as CILEx
- Significant experience in legal and business affairs in similar organisations, or large international non-government organisations (INGOs) or in a relevant government department
- Experience of providing statutory and compliance advice including advising on data management and protection issues
- Extensive knowledge of English contract law
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to translate complex material into clear and concise materials
- Excellent negotiation and presentational skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and across cultures
- Proficient computer literacy
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work to deadlines, under pressure and to take projects forward without supervision
- Proven skills in contracting with external agencies.
Options offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous annual leave allowance, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme and a performance related bonus scheme.
Options is an equal opportunities employer.
Overseas candidates require a valid UK work permit.
Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- To apply, please send your CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Tracy Brosnan email@example.com. Candidates should state the role in the subject header: Head of Legal Affairs
- Closing date for applications is: 21st October 2019
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Interviews will be held week commencing 28th October 2019