The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its Site in Skaramangas as a Cultural Mediator. Under supervision of the Community Mobilization Team Leader and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Cultural Mediator will support implementation of will provide translation and cultural mediation services, to ensure appropriate, correct, and smooth communication between the persons of concern and DRC staff in the emergency reception sites under DRC’s area of responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the managerial supervision of Community Mobilization Team Leader, the Cultural Mediator will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s SMS activities.
The main responsibilities include:
· Provide translation and cultural mediation services for all DRC field staff, as required
· Contribute to maintaining and strengthening DRC’s relations with the site population
· Provide advice to DRC staff, in order to make sure that DRC activities are culturally appropriate for the target population
· Contribute to raising cultural awareness both within the PoC community, as well as DRC staff
· Contribute to the continuous efforts for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors
· Support NFI distributions, verification exercises and other SMS activities by providing interpretation to those staff members who are responsible for the realization of such activities
· Support the Help Desk operation by providing interpretation and basic information to PoC
· When necessary, support the Site Operations team, external contractors and other actors with interpretation and cultural mediation in the sites where DRC operates as an SMS actor
· Other tasks as required by the Community Mobilization Team Leader, to support DRC’s activities implementation
· Excellent command of written and spoken Greek and Arabic and/or French and/or Kurdish language.
· Basic level in verbal and written English skills will be considered an asset
· Relevant training or certification related to translation or interpretation will be appreciated
· General administrative skills are needed, including competence with Microsoft Word, basic Excel
· Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
· Ability to work with vulnerable individuals, from children to elderly
· Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the DRC values and ethical standards
· Strong analytical skills
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills & Qualities
· Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
· Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
· Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
· Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
· Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
· Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must, and a good sense of humor
Core Competencies of DRC:
· Striving for excellence
· Taking the lead
· Demonstrating Integrity
Terms & Conditions
· The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
· All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
· DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
· The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 22th of October 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.