SYRIA – LOGISTIC & ADMINISTRATIVE BASE MANAGER – NORTHEAST SYRIA
Desired start date: 10/11/2019
Duration of the mission: 10 months
Location: Northeast Syria
ABOUT THE MISSION …
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The mission is expanding through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI, which started in October 2018. The LEARN consortium funded by OFDA ( Linking Assistance and Relief in Northeast Syria ) will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter and Health, for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria.
The Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
ABOUT THE JOB
SI is looking for an Administrative & Logistics Base Manager, based in Northeast Syria.
The Base Manager – Logistician /Administrator ensures the representation of Solidarités International by order of the Country Director on his/her geographic zone.
He/she is in charge of life on the base and ensures good communication between the different services.
He/she is the security referent on the base, and he/she ensures compliance with all of Solidarités International’s rules and procedures.
He/she carries out administrative, accounting, financial and logistics management of his/her base, in compliance with donor and SI procedures. He/she ensures that Solidarités International’s Human Resources policy is properly implemented.
His/her main tasks are:
- Coordination and Monitoring
- Administrative management of personnel
- Logistics and administrative team management
- Supervision of the inter-base movements
- Supervision of cross-border movements
- Follow-up customs and import of goods imported into Northeast Syria, in strong collaboration with the Supply Coordinator and the Logistician/Administrator based in Erbil
- Budgetary / financial monitoring
- Equipment/telecommunication management
- Management and monitoring of IT equipments
- Stock management
- Security and safety FU and briefings for visitors
Placed under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Support, the Administrative and Logistics Base Manager supervises a Deputy Logistician, an Administrative Supervisor and an Administrator-Logistician (the latter based in Erbil).
SPECIFIC STAKES AND CHALLENGES
- New position, replacing an Area Coordinator. Positioning and internal communication channels to be adapted accordingly.
NESCO is a sub-coordination office in NES where the Supply Unit is lodged, all visits to NES are organized and followed (inter-base and cross border movements) by the NESCO staff.
Important internal coordination with: Wash Working Group staff, Field Coordinators RAQ and DEZ, LEARN CMU staff, Amman Coordination staff and Erbil staff for the Syria mission.
Consolidates the NESCO base (sub-coordination office) role with the recent structural changes linked to the merging of 2 expatriate positions.
PRIORITIES FOR THE 2/3 FIRST MONTHS
- Ensures the continuity of the support and needs in coordination after the organizational changes at base level.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field
- Minimum of 2 years administrative and logistics management experience in humanitarian relief contexts
- Demonstrated knowledge of SI procedures
- Team management and supervision experience
- Previous experience in the Syrian Crisis context is major advantage
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong Coordination and diplomacy skills
- Strong management and training skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management.
- Knowledge of SAGA and Homere is mandatory.
Soft skills and spirit:
- Strong initiative with solid organizational and communication skills
- Stress management skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Strong capacity of adaptation, ideally from working/living in a developing country
- Ability to live in insecure environments
- Problem solving skills
- Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
- Levantine Arabic is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position: starting from 2200 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 700 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[LIVING CONDITIONS : ]
Accommodation will be in SI guesthouses which are spacious and very comfortable.
Security inside NES is volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and displacements in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary, while the security levels can vary according to the different geographical locations and the changes of context.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension