Chief of Party (Somalia) to promote Durable Solutions through Integrated Return, Reintegration and Resilience Support
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Chief of Party to promote Durable Solutions through Integrated Return, Reintegration and Resilience Support to Somali Displacement-Affected Populations
The Chief of Party provides programmatic and operation leadership to the Programme Management Unit of this 3-year, 100 million DKK programme, ensuring its coherence with overall Somalia Country Office strategy and with existing programming. He/She is also responsible for donor and government relations, advocacy and coordination of the consortium (made up of DRC, DDG, REDSS and WYG).
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Provide overall leadership and management, and general technical direction, for the implementation and development of project activities, refining and synergizing programmatic approaches and methodologies in close coordination with DRC, DDG and WYG technical staff
- Manage a team of PMU staff (consisting of finance officer, programme officer, MEL officer) including leading the hiring, professional development and evaluation process, ensuring achievement of project results by setting specific goals and providing continuous performance feedback.
- Responsible for delivery, and progress against agreed targets of the project for REDSS, WYG, DDG, and DRC
- Responsible for managing the timely and quality completion of all programme technical administrative financial deliverables and reports in accordance with DANIDA guidelines and DRC rules
- Ensure a shared project vision and an adaptive ‘theory of change’ (based on continuous learning from the programme) among staff and across all implementing agencies
- Serve as the principal liaison with and build effective working relationships with DANIDA, IGAD and government counterparts, local partners, communities and other relevant stakeholders such as consortia like RE-INTEG, SOMREP, BORESHA
- Lead advocacy efforts with government and others at national and regional level on the Nairobi Comprehensive Plan of Action for Durable Solutions for Somali Refugees
- Oversee the establishment of effective project reporting, monitoring evaluation and learning, financial management, and personnel and procurement mechanisms
- Develop partnerships in the humanitarian and development community and coordinate with authorities at regional, state and district Government levels.
- Plan and prepare quarterly consortium Steering Group meetings (agenda development, background documents, presentation of progress) and Technical Working Group meetings, and oversee implementation of recommendations
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programmes, capacity building of key project staff, and strengthening community-based organizations and mechanisms
To be successful in this role we expect you to possess the following:
- Relevant university degree (Masters or Postgraduate), in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations, Law or other relevant field
- Over five years proven experience in programme design and management, including budget expenditure, reporting, proposal writing, staff management, and monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Proven experience in Livelihoods, Resilience, Protection, Solutions, Social Accountability and/or related fields in a management capacity
- Demonstrated practical track record of strong donor relationships
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and decision making ability.
- Proven solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills in English is required.
- Working experience in East Africa and/or in fragile countries like Somalia is preferred
- Somali or Arabic languages are desirable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 1 year.
Designation of Duty Station: Non-family duty stations
Start date: 1 December 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact [contact person].
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English here. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 20 October
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.